WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Las Vegas Wranglers 4-0 on Monday night at the Maverik Center.
Grizzlies goaltender Shane Owen improved to 2-0, as he collected his first professional shutout in the win by stopping all 23 Las Vegas shots.
"They played as five-man units on the ice and supported each other," said Grizzlies head coach Kevin Colley. "There were no weak links. I know the Fadden line did a lot of the offense for us, congratulations to Brett Ferguson on his first pro goal and then you get Shane Owen, who's barely played at all this year, getting his first shutout."
Utah (10-5) started strong with Nick Tuzzolino tapping in a lose puck in the crease 1:49 into the first period as Mitch Fadden centered Matt Reber.
The Grizzlies made it 2-0 less than two minutes later at 3:47 when Paul McIlveen scored from the left circle as again Reber and Fadden picked up assists. Fadden started the play by picking up a turnover in the Utah end.
Utah added two more goals in less than five minutes midway through the second period. Mitch Fadden backhanded home a McIlveen centering pass 8:08 into the third period. That was followed by a Brett Ferguson slapshot for his first pro goal at 12:51 of the second period.
The line of Mitch Fadden (one goal, two assists), Matt Reber (three assists) and Paul McIlveen (one goal, two assists) combined for eight points in the game.
Utah hosts Alaska on Friday and Saturday at 7:05 p.m. in a matchup of the first- and second-place teams in the Mountain Division.
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents may...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Wasatch Academy basketball coach Geno Morgan...
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 90
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 66
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 52
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 27