The first head coach at BYU after the LaVell Edwards era, Crowton started his career at BYU on a 12-game winning streak. The Cougars lost the final two games of that season and they suffered three straight losing seasons after that. A former player at Snow College and Colorado State, he was the head coach at BYU from 2001 to 2004. He also was the head coach at Louisiana Tech. Prior to BYU, Crowton also was on the coaching staffs of the Chicago Bears, Georgia Tech, Boston College, New Hampshire, Western Illinois and Snow College. Since leaving BYU he has been the offensive coordinator at Oregon, LSU and Maryland.
3. G. Ott Romney .571 (42-31-5)
Romney was the third head football coach at BYU, coaching there from 1928-36. His brother was E.L. "Dick" Romney, who Utah State's football stadium is named for. They are both distant relatives of presidential candidate Mitt Romney. His record at BYU was 42-31-5, with his best season coming in 1932 with an 8-1 record. Montana State University named its first gymnasium on campus after him. Romney died in 1973 at the age of 80.
2. LaVell Edwards .717 (257-101-3)
Edwards' coaching career started in 1953 at Fort Mead, Md., where he played and coached. He then came to Salt Lake City and became the head coach at Granite High from 1954-61. From there it was all with the Cougars. He began his BYU coaching career in 1962 as a student assistant. Soon after that, he became an assistant coach under Tom Hudspeth. He served in that role until being promoted to head coach in 1972. For the next 29 seasons, Edwards racked up 257 wins, seven bowl victories, 19 conference titles and one national championship in 1984.
1. Bronco Mendenhall .727 (64-24)
Mendenhall became the head coach in 2005, but came to BYU as its defensive coordinator in 2003. Prior to arriving at BYU he had been on the coaching staff at New Mexico, Louisiana Tech, Oregon State, Northern Arizona, Snow College and Oregon State. At most of those schools he was defensive coordinator for some period. Mendenhall played football at Snow College and Oregon State.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 67
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28