Stuart Johnson, All
13. Hal Mitchell .267 (8-22)
The former UCLA and New York Giants offensive lineman coached the Cougars for three seasons in the '60s (1961-63). His best season was 1962, where the Cougars finished the WAC tied for second place.
12. Chick Atkinson .279 (18-49-3)
Atkinson coached at BYU from 1949-55. He had one winless season and two one-win seasons. He did tie Utah in 1950 and he coached the last BYU team to beat Idaho State — until this season, of course. He has a lot of ties to the Gem State, playing for the Bengals in college. He also coached at three Idaho high schools. Atkinson died in 1962.
10. (tie) Floyd Millet .286 (2-5)
Floyd Millet was an assistant coach from 1937-41 before becoming the head coach for the 1942 season (the BYU program took off 1943-45 due to World War II). While that 1942 team went 2-5, the Cougars did beat Utah 12-7, the first-ever win over Utah. He was also BYU's athletic director from 1963-70. Inducted into the BYU Athletic Hall of Fame in 1976, Millet was also the head basketball coach from 1941-49. Millet passed away in June 2000.
10. (tie) Tally Stevens .286 (6-15)
Tally Stevens worked as the head coach from 1959-60. Prior to that he was an assistant coach at BYU and the head coach at East High School and Morgan High School. After he left BYU he owned Stevens and Brown Sporting Goods. Stevens died in August 1995.
9. Alvin Twitchell .289 (5-13-1)
The first coach of the Cougars, Twitchell coached from 1922-24. The Cougars were beaten by a combined score of 137-3 in their first three games against Utah State, Utah and Colorado Mines — a 47-0 homecoming shellacking. BYU did manage one win that season — a 7-0 victory over Wyoming. Twitchell's record at BYU was 5-13-1.
8. C.J. Hart .350 (6-12-2)
Charles J. Hart, also known as C.J. Hart was the second head coach at BYU, leading the Cougars from 1925 to 1927. During that time BYU was in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference. Hart had an overall record of 6-12-2.
7. Tom Hudspeth .482 (39-42-1)
Hudspeth was BYU's head coach from 1964 to 1971. The highlight of his career at BYU was winning the WAC championship in 1965 — the school's first conference title. Prior to coaching at BYU he was an assistant coach at Oklahoma high schools and for the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League. Upon leaving BYU he went on to become the head coach at UTEP and also for the Detroit Lions of the NFL and Toronto Argonauts of the CFL. Hudspeth also worked behind the scenes for the Detroit Lions in 1975.
6. Hal Kopp .483 (13-14-3)
Kopp was the only head coach in BYU history that was not LDS. He was the head coach for the Cougars 1956-58. Prior to BYU he was the head coach at Rhode Island. He was also an assistant coach at Yale, Harvard, Connecticut, Brown and Northeastern. He did take a break from coaching to serve in World War II and the Korean War. Kopp went on to become the head coach at Bentley College. He died in 1998.
5. Eddie Kimball .514 (34-32-8)
Kimball served as BYU's head coach twice. The first time was from 1937 to 1941 and then again from 1946-48, taking time off to serve in the U.S. Army. Heavily involved with the Cougars athletic department, he was also the athletic director from 1937-63 and was also the BYU head basketball coach from 1935-36 and from 1938-41. He was named Mountain States Conference Coach of the Year in 1938 and 1941. Kimball was inducted into the BYU Athletic Hall of Fame in 1975. He passed away in December 1990.
4. Gary Crowton .531 (26-23)
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Contract delay keeps Utah Jazz rookie Trey...
- Rodney Hood, Dante Exum highlight Utah Jazz...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: The resurrection of...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 89
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 24