Utah Jazz would benefit from a few collective bargaining agreement options
Small-market teams want to mimic the NFL's revenue-sharing model, Schulz said. This would allow teams to keep revenue from premium seating (e.g. luxury boxes and "Hollywood courtside seats") and local sponsorships, but the rest of ticket sales earnings would be shared equally as a league.
Another desire of small-market teams is to benefit from TV and radio rights the bigger-market teams cash in on. The Lakers' reported $3 billion TV deal compared to the Jazz's $240 million contract is a prime example of the divide.
Franchise player designations
The trend of star players forming super teams (see: L.A., Boston and Miami) is "a slippery slope" for the NBA, Schulz believes. That's why some owners want to be able to attach a franchise player tag on a player similar to the NFL, forcing high-profile guys like LeBron James or Deron Williams to remain with their current teams.
"Under the current system, the good ol' days of Karl (Malone) and John (Stockton) playing for a Utah team their entire career is never going to happen again," Schulz said. "Small-market teams will constantly be in rebuilding mode, unable to compete."
Schulz cited what happened with Deron Williams and the Jazz as Exhibit No. 1.
Utah re-signed Williams to a max contract after his rookie deal, but the team then felt forced to trade him due to the risk that he might walk away when his contract allowed.
And the worst-case scenario for the Jazz?
Schulz's two-fold answer: Keeping a variation of the luxury tax and not increasing the owners' share of BRI to at least 50 percent. (Players earned up to 57 percent of BRI in the previous CBA.)
"As long as the big-market teams can buy their advantage, the Utahs of the world will never be able to compete," Schulz said. "Sure, they may have a one-year blip, but nothing sustainable. Money always wins in the NBA."
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20