Utah Utes football: John White IV climbs Utes' career rushing chart
PULLMAN, Wash. — John White IV continued his pursuit of Utah's single-season rushing record in Saturday's 30-27 overtime victory at Washington State.
The junior rushed for 186 yards against the Cougars, pushing his yardage total to 1,377 on the year — surpassing Darrell Mack for third place on the all-time list and moving him to within 20 yards of passing Dameon Hunter for second.
White enters Friday's regular-season finale only 130 yards away from Carl Monroe's school record set in 1982.
"Once he gets going he's unstoppable," said Utah quarterback Jon Hays.
Although White had a workmanlike 49 yards in the first half, his productivity shot upward after getting flagged for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the third quarter. Needless to say, he wasn't very happy about the call.
"I'm a little firecracker out there. I'm not going to lie," White said. "But I've got to maintain my head and just go out there and play and forget about all the crap out there that happens."
White managed to do so, rushing for a pair of touchdowns in the fourth quarter. The first came on a 3-yard run, the second on a 56-yard burst down the left sideline that required some fancy footwork on the snowy turf.
"It wasn't too bad. I just kept my balance," White explained. "I used to Pogo Stick back in the day, so I just kept my balance and that was it."
White kept going and going and going — nearly setting a different school record along the way. He carried the ball 42 times, the second-most in program history.
"He gets stronger as the game goes on," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said while guess-timating White's carries as being around 30. "I'm glad he's on our team."
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5 in...
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- Brad Rock: Kent Myers should have started for...
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to Utah next...
- In critical situations, BYU offense, defense...
- BYU report card: Defense holds its own...
- Nerves? Not for Alec Burks, Utah Jazz going...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 36
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 26
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 22
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20