Utah Utes football: John White IV climbs Utes' career rushing chart
PULLMAN, Wash. — John White IV continued his pursuit of Utah's single-season rushing record in Saturday's 30-27 overtime victory at Washington State.
The junior rushed for 186 yards against the Cougars, pushing his yardage total to 1,377 on the year — surpassing Darrell Mack for third place on the all-time list and moving him to within 20 yards of passing Dameon Hunter for second.
White enters Friday's regular-season finale only 130 yards away from Carl Monroe's school record set in 1982.
"Once he gets going he's unstoppable," said Utah quarterback Jon Hays.
Although White had a workmanlike 49 yards in the first half, his productivity shot upward after getting flagged for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the third quarter. Needless to say, he wasn't very happy about the call.
"I'm a little firecracker out there. I'm not going to lie," White said. "But I've got to maintain my head and just go out there and play and forget about all the crap out there that happens."
White managed to do so, rushing for a pair of touchdowns in the fourth quarter. The first came on a 3-yard run, the second on a 56-yard burst down the left sideline that required some fancy footwork on the snowy turf.
"It wasn't too bad. I just kept my balance," White explained. "I used to Pogo Stick back in the day, so I just kept my balance and that was it."
White kept going and going and going — nearly setting a different school record along the way. He carried the ball 42 times, the second-most in program history.
"He gets stronger as the game goes on," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said while guess-timating White's carries as being around 30. "I'm glad he's on our team."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22