PULLMAN, Wash. — When it comes to where Utah may be going bowling, the alley may have improved with the Utes' fourth straight win and Washington's upset loss to Oregon State on Saturday.
Could the Alamo or Holiday bowls be in Utah's future, especially if the Utes add a win over Colorado next week to finish the regular season 8-4 overall with five straight victories?
The answer may not come until the BCS makes its selections known next month. And then there's still the mathematical possibility that Utah reaches the inaugural Pac-12 title game — if Arizona State loses at home to Cal and UCLA falls to USC.
The Utes, though, aren't looking too far ahead. It's all about bowling, for now — a certainty for the ninth straight year.
"Every time you win, it helps you be more and more attractive to the bowl people that are choosing," said Utah athletics director Chris Hill. "There's still a lot of variables, but you know being at seven (wins) and having a chance to get to eight is a pretty good thing. We're excited."
Before leaving Martin Stadium, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham acknowledged hearing about Washington's setback, which dropped the Huskies to 6-5 earlier in the day.
"I don't know exactly what that does other than elevates us maybe up a peg in the bowl hierarchy. But we've still got a week to go. I know next week we've got to win again. That's the bottom line. We've got to find another way to win next week and then everything will sort itself out from there."
The Arizona-Arizona State and UCLA-Colorado games were not complete before the Utes boarded their flight back to Salt Lake City, but UCLA beat Colorado, 45-6 and Arizona topped ASU, 31-27.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 81
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 66
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22