PULLMAN, Wash. — When it comes to where Utah may be going bowling, the alley may have improved with the Utes' fourth straight win and Washington's upset loss to Oregon State on Saturday.
Could the Alamo or Holiday bowls be in Utah's future, especially if the Utes add a win over Colorado next week to finish the regular season 8-4 overall with five straight victories?
The answer may not come until the BCS makes its selections known next month. And then there's still the mathematical possibility that Utah reaches the inaugural Pac-12 title game — if Arizona State loses at home to Cal and UCLA falls to USC.
The Utes, though, aren't looking too far ahead. It's all about bowling, for now — a certainty for the ninth straight year.
"Every time you win, it helps you be more and more attractive to the bowl people that are choosing," said Utah athletics director Chris Hill. "There's still a lot of variables, but you know being at seven (wins) and having a chance to get to eight is a pretty good thing. We're excited."
Before leaving Martin Stadium, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham acknowledged hearing about Washington's setback, which dropped the Huskies to 6-5 earlier in the day.
"I don't know exactly what that does other than elevates us maybe up a peg in the bowl hierarchy. But we've still got a week to go. I know next week we've got to win again. That's the bottom line. We've got to find another way to win next week and then everything will sort itself out from there."
The Arizona-Arizona State and UCLA-Colorado games were not complete before the Utes boarded their flight back to Salt Lake City, but UCLA beat Colorado, 45-6 and Arizona topped ASU, 31-27.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48