Francois Mori, Associated Press
PARIS — World champion Patrick Chan won skating's Trophee Bompard for the third time Saturday despite a free program filled with errors.
The Canadian landed awkwardly on two falls and stumbled during a step sequence. He started well by nailing a quad toe loop-triple toe loop combination but lost his balance during the circular step sequence. He then landed awkwardly on two jumps in quick succession.
"The warmup felt really good, the program didn't," he said. "I felt shaky on the quads all week. Sometimes you make mistakes, but overall I'm very pleased."
Chan dominated Friday's short program and had enough overall points (240.60) to comfortably beat Song Nan of China (224.10) and Michal Brezina of the Czech Republic (218.60).
Chan said he was not concentrating properly when he made a basic error during the step sequence.
"I'm not thinking enough about keeping my center strong," he said. "I get too carried away."
Song glided effortlessly across the ice to Franz Liszt's "Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2," drawing loud applause from the crowd at the Bercy arena.
"It wasn't as good as my Cup of China, but I'm pleased I was able to do two quad toes," said Song, who was first in free skate when he finished third at the Cup of China two weeks ago. "It was tough but I enjoyed competing here. There are many things I need to improve to get to (Chan's) level."
Brezina qualified along with Chan for next month's Grand Prix Final.
"That was a goal of mine for three years and I finally made it," Brezina said. "That's good, and I'm really happy but I still need to work on the quad."
Later Saturday, world junior runner-up Elizaveta Tuktamisheva of Russia defended her lead in the women's free skate.
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- BYU football: Cougars agree to home-and-home...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 140
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 105
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 88
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 44
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 25
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame... 24