Francois Mori, Associated Press
PARIS — World champion Patrick Chan won skating's Trophee Bompard for the third time Saturday despite a free program filled with errors.
The Canadian landed awkwardly on two falls and stumbled during a step sequence. He started well by nailing a quad toe loop-triple toe loop combination but lost his balance during the circular step sequence. He then landed awkwardly on two jumps in quick succession.
"The warmup felt really good, the program didn't," he said. "I felt shaky on the quads all week. Sometimes you make mistakes, but overall I'm very pleased."
Chan dominated Friday's short program and had enough overall points (240.60) to comfortably beat Song Nan of China (224.10) and Michal Brezina of the Czech Republic (218.60).
Chan said he was not concentrating properly when he made a basic error during the step sequence.
"I'm not thinking enough about keeping my center strong," he said. "I get too carried away."
Song glided effortlessly across the ice to Franz Liszt's "Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2," drawing loud applause from the crowd at the Bercy arena.
"It wasn't as good as my Cup of China, but I'm pleased I was able to do two quad toes," said Song, who was first in free skate when he finished third at the Cup of China two weeks ago. "It was tough but I enjoyed competing here. There are many things I need to improve to get to (Chan's) level."
Brezina qualified along with Chan for next month's Grand Prix Final.
"That was a goal of mine for three years and I finally made it," Brezina said. "That's good, and I'm really happy but I still need to work on the quad."
Later Saturday, world junior runner-up Elizaveta Tuktamisheva of Russia defended her lead in the women's free skate.
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher out BCS...
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 90
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 42
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27