Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
New Mexico St. (4-6) at BYU (7-3)
Saturday, 8:15 p.m.
LaVell Edwards Stadium (63,470)
Natural grass, Provo
Radio: 1160AM, 102.7FM
For New Mexico State ... the Aggies are looking to spring a big upset of BYU on national TV.
For BYU ... the Cougars want to send their 19 seniors out with a victory in their final game at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
For New Mexico State ... the Aggies have scored 30 or more points in five of their last six games, including a 48-point performance in last week's victory over Fresno State.
For BYU ... the Cougars are 21-3 under coach Bronco Mendenhall in the month of November. All three of those losses came at the hands of Utah.
New Mexico State will win if ... the Aggies force turnovers and capitalize on those with their explosive offense.
BYU will win if ... the Cougars are balanced offensively, avoid turnovers and find a way to slow down New Mexico State's offensive weapons.
Player to watch
Jake Heaps, BYU quarterback: The Cougar QB is making his first start in nearly two months. Can he build on his solid performance last week?
BYU's SECONDARY vs. NEW MEXICO STATE'S PASSING GAME: The Cougars have been vulnerable at times this season to big pass plays. Aggie quarterback Matt Christian threw for 360 yards last week and he has talented receivers at his disposal.
New Mexico State: Quarterback Matt Christian is nursing an injury to his non-throwing shoulder and his hip, but will play. Safety Donyae Coleman (shoulder) did not play in last week's win over Fresno State. He was replaced by Justin Smith, who recorded a career-high 13 tackles.
BYU: Quarterback Riley Nelson suffered rib and lung injuries last week and could be out until the bowl game. Offensive lineman Houston Reynolds (shoulder) is questionable and defensive back Mike Hague (shoulder) is probable.
NMSU visits Louisiana Tech next Saturday. BYU has a bye.
Date Opponent Time (TV)/result
Sept. 3 at Ole Miss W, 14-3
Sept. 10 at Texas L, 17-16
Sept. 17 vs. Utah L, 54-10
Sept. 23 vs. UCF W, 24-17
Sept. 30 vs. Utah St. W, 27-24
Oct. 08vs. San Jose St.W, 29-16
Oct. 15 at Oregon St. W, 38-28
Oct. 22 vs. Idaho St. W, 56-3
Oct. 28 at TCU L, 38-28
Nov.12 vs. Idaho W, 42-7
Nov. 19vs. New Mexico St. 8:15 p.m. (ESPNU)
Dec. 3 at Hawai'i 5:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Langi, Tuiloma to help anchor middle of BYU's...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 67
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 58
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 27