WEST VALLEY CITY — The Las Vegas Wranglers defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-0 Friday night at the Maverik Center.
The loss marks the first time all year that the Grizzlies (9-4-0-0) have lost two straight games.
"I think our core guys competed the way they're supposed to; they do every time," said assistant coach Leigh Mendelson. "Because we have call-ups, we have guys getting enhanced ice time and they need to make the most of their opportunities."
Mendelson led the team Friday with head coach Kevin Colley attending to a family medical situation back in Canada.
Las Vegas built a 3-0 first intermission lead and went up 2-0 with two shorthanded goals in 28 seconds early in the first period. They added a goal in the second on a breakaway and one in the third off of a turnover and 5-0 would be the final. Las Vegas (8-4-1-2) forward Judd Blackwater earned a hat trick in the contest.
"We have to tighten up everything," said Utah forward Chris Donovan. "The good news is that we have a veteran team here and a lot of poise in the locker room. You don't want to swipe it under the rug, you have to learn from it. At this point, it's go back to the drawing board and do what we do best, work hard."
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27