Latest developments in the Occupy protests

Associated Press

Published: Friday, Nov. 18 2011 4:30 p.m. MST

Police officers tell Occupy Wall Street demonstrator C.J. Phillips, center, he must leave Zuccotti Park with his shopping cart, Friday, Nov. 18, 2011, in New York.

Mary Altaffer, Associated Press

Some of the latest developments in the Occupy protests:

UNITED STATES

CALIFORNIA

San Francisco's public health department has declared the Occupy San Francisco encampment in Justin Herman Plaza a public health nuisance. But city authorities are so far allowing the demonstrators to remain in the plaza despite making their declaration Thursday. Barbara Garcia, head of the city's public health department, said the grassy area being used by the campers has been found to contain feces and have inadequate toilet facilities. Conditions for the spread of respiratory illnesses have also been present. Protesters feared that they would be evicted overnight, but the camp was not raided.

In Los Angeles, an Occupy LA activist who filed for a court order to prevent the city from dismantling the 475-tent camp around City Hall without notifying campers has not shown up for a scheduled court hearing, and no action was taken. City attorney's spokesman John Franklin said Friday city lawyers were ready to argue against the application for a temporary restraining order, but the activist did not appear in Superior Court. Occupy LA spokeswoman Pam Noles says the court filing was unauthorized and organizers are trying to find out who did it. Police have told organizers that no attempt to dismantle the camp would be taken without ample notice.

INDIANA

State officials have cleared most of the Occupy Indy encampment from the Indiana Statehouse lawn. Department of Administration Commissioner Rob Wynkoop says that the small band of protesters had cleared most of its camping gear on Thursday but that more items were added overnight and he ordered the site cleared before dawn Friday. Protester Greg Lambert of Indianapolis says he and others are "furious." State workers removed two tables and an American flag on Friday but left a few camping chairs. Protesters say the workers also took their protest signs but Wynkoop said he hadn't heard about that.

MAINE

Police have charged two OccupyMaine activists with assault and arrested a third on a disorderly conduct charge in two separate disturbances at an encampment at a Portland park. Police say 45-year-old Alan Porter was hit in the head with a hammer Friday morning after he started drumming to awaken the other occupants. One 34-year-old man was charged with aggravated assault, and another 34-year-old man was given a summons for assault for allegedly choking Porter. On Thursday night, a 25-year-old man was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct after police responded to the report of a fight. Police say the three suspects have been ordered not to return to the park.

MASSACHUSETTS

The nonprofit organization that oversees the site of the Occupy Boston encampment wants the protesters out. The chairwoman of the Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy's board says in a Tuesday letter to Mayor Thomas Menino that demonstrators have prevented the general public from enjoying Dewey Square Park and forced the cancellation of other events scheduled for the site, including an Oct. 15 food festival. The Boston Globe (http://b.globe.com/sQjCYb) reports that Chairwoman Georgia Murray also wrote that sanitary conditions have worsened, farmers selling food in the area have seen sales decline because of "noise, odors, and interference" from demonstrators, and the camp has shown "disturbing signs of drug dealing." A Menino spokeswoman says the administration is monitoring the situation and there are no current plans to forcibly evict the protesters.

NEW JERSEY

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS