High school football: Late TD lifts Logan to 4A title
In what was supposed to be a high scoring slugfest between two potent offensive teams — it was anything but.
The next score finally came with four minutes left in the third quarter. After back-to-back sacks, Logan was forced to punt deep into its own territory. The ensuing snap soared over punter Jake Thompson's head and through the back of the end zone for the safety to slice the margin to 10-8.
East once again went to work.
Niel Robbins picked off an overthrown ball at the East 46 yard line with 1:35 in the third quarter setting the Leopards up with quality field position..
On an extremely physical drive consisting of 12 running plays, East suffocated the clock for six minutes and eventually recaptured the lead, 11-10, on another Van Minde 22-yard field goal.
The clock was clicking away on the dream season.
After a seven play drive came up short on a missed 51-yard field goal followed by an East three and out — Logan had 2:09 minutes left.
Five plays into the final drive, on third and six, Nelson had another pass deflected — but East was whistled for a personal foul on illegal contact to the face to keep the drive breathing.
Two players later, Nelson noticed Hartman islanded out in single coverage.
"They played single coverage almost all game long — the plan was great you can't criticize that," said Favero. "I was glad they were in single coverage because it gave us a shot but you can't fault that on their behalf, they shut us down for the most part and they stuck with what was working for them."
Hartman made his defender bite 20 yards down field on a post-corner route and Nelson rainbowed a pass perfectly over the outstretched arms of the Leopards defender for the dramatic 40-yard game winning score.
"When he chucked that ball I just lost it," said Chase Nelson of his brother and the final pass. "It was the coolest thing ever. He's such a stud, I love him — he's such a great brother. What way to end his great career, he's worked so hard and he deserves all of it."
It was the fairytale conclusion to Nelson's extraordinary senior season.
"It doesn't get any better than throwing the game winning touchdown pass with 36 seconds to go," said Favero.
"That's a storybook dream."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 22