I am completely shocked and appalled after hearing that Congress has released a bill to reverse school lunch standards that included limiting pizza and french fries. Instead of listening to the advice of nutritionists and physicians as to what is best for our children's health, congress is listening to the outcry of potato producing states, the salt industry and the frozen food industry.
It is further proof that big business has much more influence than it should in deciding legislation. As a physician who sees obese children on a daily basis, I can attest that something needs to be done. It is the responsibility of doctors, parents and our school system to stop the obesity epidemic.
We cannot teach our children that french fries and tomato paste on pizza suffice for healthy vegetable choices. We need to be responsible for our children and their future health and not let food lobbyists decide what should be served at school lunch.
Salt Lake City
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Michael Gerson: The gospel according to JC...
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- Robert J. Samuelson: Government programs...
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum wage
- In our opinion: Forgiveness, positive focus...
- Matthew Sanders: Nelson Mandela's goodness...
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 62
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 57
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 41
- Letter: Doctors unite 40
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 32
- Michael E. Kraft: Yes, Congress should... 22
- Letter: Foreign aid 17
- My view: Utah needs to expand Medicaid 14