I am completely shocked and appalled after hearing that Congress has released a bill to reverse school lunch standards that included limiting pizza and french fries. Instead of listening to the advice of nutritionists and physicians as to what is best for our children's health, congress is listening to the outcry of potato producing states, the salt industry and the frozen food industry.
It is further proof that big business has much more influence than it should in deciding legislation. As a physician who sees obese children on a daily basis, I can attest that something needs to be done. It is the responsibility of doctors, parents and our school system to stop the obesity epidemic.
We cannot teach our children that french fries and tomato paste on pizza suffice for healthy vegetable choices. We need to be responsible for our children and their future health and not let food lobbyists decide what should be served at school lunch.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: FDA must consider regulating...
- Letter: Amnesty for who?
- In our opinion: In an entrepreneurial...
- Letter: Homework load is fine
- Letter: The ACA's 'Cadillac plans'
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The reality...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- John Florez: Our economy is a matter of health
- Letter: Socialism, like salt 49
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The... 46
- Letter: Disagreement vs. hate 42
- George F. Will: Understanding our... 41
- In our opinion: An immigration opportunity 35
- My view: Immigration reform just makes... 33
- Letter: Amnesty for who? 29
- My view: Eliminating the root cause of... 28