I am completely shocked and appalled after hearing that Congress has released a bill to reverse school lunch standards that included limiting pizza and french fries. Instead of listening to the advice of nutritionists and physicians as to what is best for our children's health, congress is listening to the outcry of potato producing states, the salt industry and the frozen food industry.
It is further proof that big business has much more influence than it should in deciding legislation. As a physician who sees obese children on a daily basis, I can attest that something needs to be done. It is the responsibility of doctors, parents and our school system to stop the obesity epidemic.
We cannot teach our children that french fries and tomato paste on pizza suffice for healthy vegetable choices. We need to be responsible for our children and their future health and not let food lobbyists decide what should be served at school lunch.
Salt Lake City
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation that...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Anne Loeser: Reverse trends about breast cancer
- In our opinion: Dropouts face high risk of...
- My view: New treatment can cure Hepatitis C
- Letter: The Romneys' new center
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 150
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 71
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 39
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 29
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 28
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 27
- In our opinion: School reformers should... 26