I am completely shocked and appalled after hearing that Congress has released a bill to reverse school lunch standards that included limiting pizza and french fries. Instead of listening to the advice of nutritionists and physicians as to what is best for our children's health, congress is listening to the outcry of potato producing states, the salt industry and the frozen food industry.
It is further proof that big business has much more influence than it should in deciding legislation. As a physician who sees obese children on a daily basis, I can attest that something needs to be done. It is the responsibility of doctors, parents and our school system to stop the obesity epidemic.
We cannot teach our children that french fries and tomato paste on pizza suffice for healthy vegetable choices. We need to be responsible for our children and their future health and not let food lobbyists decide what should be served at school lunch.
Salt Lake City
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout year...
- My view: The supergentrification of Sugar House
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The 'bathroom...
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges Hatch...
- Charles Krauthammer: Donald, Hillary and the...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 81
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 53
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 33
- Those intolerable TSA security lines 22
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 22
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19
- Letter: Citizens have a duty 19
- In our opinion: A social media enabled... 18