Well, the NBA players and owners are entering what Commissioner David Stern calls "nuclear winter." Perhaps we should thank them for giving us back that part of our lives we spent rooting for the Jazz. And season ticket holders can look forward to refunds and/or interest payments from the Jazz.
But more importantly, the federal budget deficit commission has a similar dilemma. They can find a way to reach an agreement, or they can "blow things up" by letting the default, arbitrary cuts kick in. Here's hoping the Budget Commission chooses more wisely than the NBA and it's players.
A lost NBA season is regrettable, but a lost chance to start the country on the road to financial recovery would be a tragedy.
John C. King
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms of...
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- My view: They run toward danger
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps us strong
- Medicare Advantage
- In our opinion: National security and... 66
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 43
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 17
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13