Well, the NBA players and owners are entering what Commissioner David Stern calls "nuclear winter." Perhaps we should thank them for giving us back that part of our lives we spent rooting for the Jazz. And season ticket holders can look forward to refunds and/or interest payments from the Jazz.
But more importantly, the federal budget deficit commission has a similar dilemma. They can find a way to reach an agreement, or they can "blow things up" by letting the default, arbitrary cuts kick in. Here's hoping the Budget Commission chooses more wisely than the NBA and it's players.
A lost NBA season is regrettable, but a lost chance to start the country on the road to financial recovery would be a tragedy.
John C. King
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 29
- Letter: Acting presidential 25
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 24
- My view: More whites should practice... 23