Well, the NBA players and owners are entering what Commissioner David Stern calls "nuclear winter." Perhaps we should thank them for giving us back that part of our lives we spent rooting for the Jazz. And season ticket holders can look forward to refunds and/or interest payments from the Jazz.
But more importantly, the federal budget deficit commission has a similar dilemma. They can find a way to reach an agreement, or they can "blow things up" by letting the default, arbitrary cuts kick in. Here's hoping the Budget Commission chooses more wisely than the NBA and it's players.
A lost NBA season is regrettable, but a lost chance to start the country on the road to financial recovery would be a tragedy.
John C. King
- Disputes over specialized license plates...
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- My view: Chaffetz named ‘politician of...
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change...
- In our opinion: Water, a precious commodity
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the family put...
- Lessons from 'Christmas Carol'
- Letter: Monolingual minorities
- Charles Krauthammer: Democrats use... 78
- In our opinion: Police training should... 45
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- In our opinion: Wood burning ban... 37
- Robert Bennett: More political... 36
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 31