Well, the NBA players and owners are entering what Commissioner David Stern calls "nuclear winter." Perhaps we should thank them for giving us back that part of our lives we spent rooting for the Jazz. And season ticket holders can look forward to refunds and/or interest payments from the Jazz.
But more importantly, the federal budget deficit commission has a similar dilemma. They can find a way to reach an agreement, or they can "blow things up" by letting the default, arbitrary cuts kick in. Here's hoping the Budget Commission chooses more wisely than the NBA and it's players.
A lost NBA season is regrettable, but a lost chance to start the country on the road to financial recovery would be a tragedy.
John C. King
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- In our opinion: Par for the president
- Letter: Our great nation?
- Get the names right — or suffer...
- Americans are changing their tune on foreign...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Letter: Attention diverted
- Why religious organizations should be...
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 49
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 44
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 35
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 32
- Letter: Society puzzles 32