Well, the NBA players and owners are entering what Commissioner David Stern calls "nuclear winter." Perhaps we should thank them for giving us back that part of our lives we spent rooting for the Jazz. And season ticket holders can look forward to refunds and/or interest payments from the Jazz.
But more importantly, the federal budget deficit commission has a similar dilemma. They can find a way to reach an agreement, or they can "blow things up" by letting the default, arbitrary cuts kick in. Here's hoping the Budget Commission chooses more wisely than the NBA and it's players.
A lost NBA season is regrettable, but a lost chance to start the country on the road to financial recovery would be a tragedy.
John C. King
- Richard Davis: Latter-day Saints should... 190
- My view: Marriage and social justice go... 98
- Greg Bell: Defenders of religious... 86
- In our opinion: Religious freedom... 52
- In our opinion: It's time to scrutinize... 50
- Letter: Gun control 50
- Letter: Obama fans? 43
- Faith, family and freedom join to... 25