Romney favored in Fla.
The poll also showed Romney with a 40 percent favorable rating among all Florida voters and a 28 percent unfavorable rating -- better than Obama's 47 percent favorable-48 percent unfavorable or other GOP candidates' numbers.
In addition to a 65 percent favorable score with Republicans, 39 percent of independents viewed Romney favorably, with 29 percent having an unfavorable opinion. Republicans Cain, Gingrich and Perry all had net unfavorable ratings with independents.
But among GOP voters, Romney got 21 percent of the vote, trailing Cain's 27 percent and only a few points ahead of Gingrich's 17 percent.
'A lot of work to do'
Palm Beach County Tea Party Chairwoman Pam Wohlschlegel, a Cain supporter, said tea party voters will support Romney if he is the GOP nominee. But she wasn't sure how fervent that support would be.
''That would be a concern -- just getting people out to do work. That could be a problem. I think the votes probably are there, but you need the workers to pull in the other votes," said Wohlschlegel, who is also state coordinator for the Tea Party Patriots group.
''Romney still has a lot of work to do to get people behind him if he gets the nomination. They might vote for him, but they won't work for him," said Brendan Steinhauser, director of federal and state campaigns for FreedomWorks, the Washington-based group that has been influential in the tea party movement.
But Crowe, the "real conservative" Palm Beach County Tea Party member, said he and other activists are so determined to oust Obama that they could put aside their reservations about Romney.
'' We're going to work for whoever (Obama's challenger) is," Crowe said. "We've got to get rid of him."
- Six Ferguson officers face federal lawsuits...
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- Fear spreads as Ebola moves from remote areas...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common Core,...
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Feds eye stricter rules for railroad rights...
- A New York Times article said Michael... 44
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13