Romney favored in Fla.
The poll also showed Romney with a 40 percent favorable rating among all Florida voters and a 28 percent unfavorable rating -- better than Obama's 47 percent favorable-48 percent unfavorable or other GOP candidates' numbers.
In addition to a 65 percent favorable score with Republicans, 39 percent of independents viewed Romney favorably, with 29 percent having an unfavorable opinion. Republicans Cain, Gingrich and Perry all had net unfavorable ratings with independents.
But among GOP voters, Romney got 21 percent of the vote, trailing Cain's 27 percent and only a few points ahead of Gingrich's 17 percent.
'A lot of work to do'
Palm Beach County Tea Party Chairwoman Pam Wohlschlegel, a Cain supporter, said tea party voters will support Romney if he is the GOP nominee. But she wasn't sure how fervent that support would be.
''That would be a concern -- just getting people out to do work. That could be a problem. I think the votes probably are there, but you need the workers to pull in the other votes," said Wohlschlegel, who is also state coordinator for the Tea Party Patriots group.
''Romney still has a lot of work to do to get people behind him if he gets the nomination. They might vote for him, but they won't work for him," said Brendan Steinhauser, director of federal and state campaigns for FreedomWorks, the Washington-based group that has been influential in the tea party movement.
But Crowe, the "real conservative" Palm Beach County Tea Party member, said he and other activists are so determined to oust Obama that they could put aside their reservations about Romney.
'' We're going to work for whoever (Obama's challenger) is," Crowe said. "We've got to get rid of him."
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in shooting
- Ferguson businesses torched in overnight...
- Why Salt Lake City is one of the best cities...
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as Pentagon...
- In New Zealand, feud over fate of 1902 corpse...
- At least 17 killed in Egypt by building collapse
- Reports: Ferguson grand jury has reached...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 59
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 45
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 25
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 18
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15