The Denver Broncos' running game powers along even with a third-string back.
Denver lost Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno to injuries in the first quarter Sunday and still managed to beat the Kansas City Chiefs.
McGahee hurt his hamstring near the end of the Broncos' opening drive, and although coach John Fox said he was available in an emergency, their leading rusher never returned. Moreno went down later in the first quarter with a sprained knee.
The Broncos held on for a 17-10 victory Sunday, but they'll have a quick turnaround with a game against the New York Jets scheduled for Thursday night.
The Broncos, who have implemented a run-heavy scheme behind option-style quarterback Tim Tebow, were left to use wide receiver Eddie Royal out of the backfield a few times along with third-string running back Lance Ball and fullback Spencer Larsen.
Ball carried 30 times for 96 yards, and the Broncos still ground out 244 yards rushing.
Cincinnati's A.J. Green, who leads all rookie NFL receivers, jarred his right knee when he landed awkwardly on a 36-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter of the Bengals' 24-17 loss to Pittsburgh.
Green returned on the next series, but was held out as a precaution after his knee tightened up at halftime.
"I just came down straight-legged and my knee buckled," Green said. "At halftime when I came in and sat down, it got real stiff. I couldn't really get any movement."
Bills center Eric Wood and backup linebacker Chris White both left Buffalo's loss to Dallas in the third quarter with knee injuries. Without elaborating, coach Chan Gailey said he doubted that Wood would be ready for next Sunday's game at Miami and that "Chris looks the worst of the bunch."
Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said cornerback Al Harris and tight end Michael Hoomanawanui had "significant" knee injuries. Both will have MRIs on Monday.
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU football what you may have missed: Not...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 107
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 68
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 61
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 46
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 36
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for... 33