Utah Utes basketball: U. opens regular season Monday night
Lennie Mahler, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah officially opens the Larry Krystkowiak era Monday night in the Huntsman Center against San Diego Christian College. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.
The game ushers in a busy opening week for the Runnin' Utes. They'll visit Boise State Wednesday before returning home to face Montana State on Saturday.
Utah dropped an exhibition game to Adams State, 61-60, on Nov. 4. Center David Foster (foot) and guard Chris Hines (ribs) were injured that night and will be sidelined for the next couple of weeks.
Josh Watkins and Kareem Storey led the Utes with 12 points, while Dijon Farr and Cedric Martin each added 10. True freshman Blake Wilkinson of Viewmont pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds in the setback.
"Adams State came in ready to play. They came in prepared with a very energetic and athletic group and wreaked a little havoc on our team," Krystkowiak said. "This is a great learning experience. We're going to see a lot of that kind of pressure throughout the year and we need to be ready for it.
"To be honest we weren't in the position to win a close game tonight," he added. "But there are better days ahead."
Utah's projected starters in the opener include Jason Washburn at center, Wilkinson and Farr at forward, with Watkins and Martin at guard.
San Diego Christian College at Utah
Monday, 7 p.m.
TV: None; Radio: 700AM
Live streaming: www.utahutes.com
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34