COLLEGE PARK, Md. — Alyssa Thomas had 19 points and 15 rebounds, and No. 11 Maryland beat 10th-ranked Georgetown 72-53 Sunday to gain a slice of revenge for a loss in last season's NCAA tournament.
Tianna Hawkins contributed 17 points and 14 rebounds for the Terrapins (2-0), who never trailed. Maryland turned a 34-26 halftime lead into a 16-point cushion with 12 minutes left and coasted to the finish.
The Terrapins lost to Georgetown twice last year, including 79-57 at home in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Hoyas guard Sugar Rodgers scored 34 points in that one, but she had only four on 1-for-12 shooting Sunday before fouling out with 20.4 seconds left.
The junior guard missed her first seven shots and was held scoreless until making her only basket, a layup with 8:08 remaining.
Tia Magee led Georgetown (1-1) with 17 points and Rubylee Wright had 13.
Thomas and Hawkins were the obvious stars, but Laurin Mincy did her part with an outstanding defensive effort on Rodgers. Mincy spent most of the game hounding Rodgers, getting relief only briefly from teammate Kim Rodgers.
Maryland led 46-36 before Hawkins made a free throw, Thomas hit a jumper and Kim Rodgers buried a 3-pointer to make it 52-36. Minutes later, Hawkins hit a jumper and Mincy connected from long range to put the Terps up by 20.
Hawkins scored nine points, Thomas and Alicia DeVaughn each had eight, and the Terrapins forced 12 turnovers in taking a 34-26 halftime lead.
Maryland opened with a tight man-to-man defense in which Mincy tirelessly shadowed Rodgers from baseline to baseline and helped the Terrapins go up 12-6 early in the game.
Rodgers picked up her second foul with 12:18 left in the half and took a seat. The Hoyas did just fine without her, getting five points from Wright in a 10-3 run that cut the deficit to 20-19.
Minutes later, Maryland scored four straight baskets for a 30-21 lead. Upon her return, Rodgers missed two free throws and a layup in the final three minutes.
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 137
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 57
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 47