Sloan's advice to the student-athlete?
"Just play. Just play to have fun," Sanford said. "(It's) basketball, you're supposed to have a good time, not stressing about it, not getting too worked up about it. Just go out and play, have a good time."
Sloan, who'll be inducted into the Utah Sports Hall of Fame this Wednesday with longtime assistant Phil Johnson, misses that part of the game.
"I miss basketball a lot more as time goes by," he said. "There's not a lot to do when you're retired."
Who knows if he'll remain retired, but at least his family enjoys him being around more, right?
"Sometimes," Tammy said, laughing. "Only sometimes."
Tingey isn't the only one who'd throw out the welcome mat for Sloan.
"I like Tingey, but there's a difference between a high school coach and an NBA coach," Sanford said. With a big smile, he added, "I'd take Sloan any day."
Email: email@example.com Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- Let's go bowling: Predicting this year's 35...
- Utah Jazz: NBA taking notice of Jazz rookie...
- BYU football: Cougars sign JC wide receiver,...
- Utah Jazz: Trey Burke plays out of this world...
- BYU's Kyle Van Noy named CBSSports.com...
- High school boys basketball: 5 top Utah prep...
- Commentary: For the Jazz, it's all about 2016-17
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- BYU, Utah basketball: Fast start lifts... 156
- BYU digs early hole, can't recover in... 42
- BYU's Kyle Van Noy named CBSSports.com... 42
- Brad Rock: Utah, BYU coaches keep it in... 36
- Utah basketball: Ute sophomore Jordan... 31
- BYU, Utah basketball report card: Utes... 25
- Utah State basketball: Leading scorer... 25
- BYU football: Kyle Van Noy accepts... 25