Idaho Press-Tribune, Charlie Litchfield) MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
BOISE, Idaho — Casey Pachall threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Carter with 1:05 left, then connected with Josh Boyce on the go-ahead 2-point conversion, and Boise State's Dan Goodale booted a 39-yard field-goal attempt wide right as time expired to give TCU a 36-35 victory against the fifth-ranked Broncos on Saturday.
Pachall threw for 473 yards and five touchdowns as the Horned Frogs (8-2, 5-0) secured a clear path to the Mountain West Conference title and snuffed out the Broncos' hopes of playing in the BCS championship game.
For the second straight year, a missed field goal could dash Boise State's BCS hopes.
Pachall shredded the Broncos' injury-riddled secondary for scoring passes of 75, 74 and 69 yards in the first half.
And he was just as sharp at the end. After Broncos running back Drew Wright fumbled in TCU territory with 2:26 remaining, Pachall marched the Horned Frogs down the field, capping a seven-play scoring drive with a TD pass to Carter to pull within 35-34.
TCU coach Gary Patterson made a gutsy call to go for the lead instead of a tying kick. Pachall hit Boyce in the corner of the end zone to put the Horned Frogs up 36-35.
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Former South African President Nelson Mandela...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Obama administration will allow green energy...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 105
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 29
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 28
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Obama declares health care law is... 21