Idaho Press-Tribune, Charlie Litchfield) MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
BOISE, Idaho — Casey Pachall threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Carter with 1:05 left, then connected with Josh Boyce on the go-ahead 2-point conversion, and Boise State's Dan Goodale booted a 39-yard field-goal attempt wide right as time expired to give TCU a 36-35 victory against the fifth-ranked Broncos on Saturday.
Pachall threw for 473 yards and five touchdowns as the Horned Frogs (8-2, 5-0) secured a clear path to the Mountain West Conference title and snuffed out the Broncos' hopes of playing in the BCS championship game.
For the second straight year, a missed field goal could dash Boise State's BCS hopes.
Pachall shredded the Broncos' injury-riddled secondary for scoring passes of 75, 74 and 69 yards in the first half.
And he was just as sharp at the end. After Broncos running back Drew Wright fumbled in TCU territory with 2:26 remaining, Pachall marched the Horned Frogs down the field, capping a seven-play scoring drive with a TD pass to Carter to pull within 35-34.
TCU coach Gary Patterson made a gutsy call to go for the lead instead of a tying kick. Pachall hit Boyce in the corner of the end zone to put the Horned Frogs up 36-35.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42