Idaho Press-Tribune, Charlie Litchfield) MANDATORY CREDIT, Associated Press
BOISE, Idaho — Casey Pachall threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Carter with 1:05 left, then connected with Josh Boyce on the go-ahead 2-point conversion, and Boise State's Dan Goodale booted a 39-yard field-goal attempt wide right as time expired to give TCU a 36-35 victory against the fifth-ranked Broncos on Saturday.
Pachall threw for 473 yards and five touchdowns as the Horned Frogs (8-2, 5-0) secured a clear path to the Mountain West Conference title and snuffed out the Broncos' hopes of playing in the BCS championship game.
For the second straight year, a missed field goal could dash Boise State's BCS hopes.
Pachall shredded the Broncos' injury-riddled secondary for scoring passes of 75, 74 and 69 yards in the first half.
And he was just as sharp at the end. After Broncos running back Drew Wright fumbled in TCU territory with 2:26 remaining, Pachall marched the Horned Frogs down the field, capping a seven-play scoring drive with a TD pass to Carter to pull within 35-34.
TCU coach Gary Patterson made a gutsy call to go for the lead instead of a tying kick. Pachall hit Boyce in the corner of the end zone to put the Horned Frogs up 36-35.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37