Paul J. Bereswill, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Mohamed Sanu set a Big East Conference single-season record for receptions and Jordan Thomas returned a blocked punt 32-yard for a touchdown as Rutgers defeated Army 27-12 Saturday in the first game between the schools since Scarlet Knights player Eric LeGrand was paralyzed in October 2010.
LeGrand took part in the coin toss before the game at Yankee Stadium along with Malcolm Brown, the player he tackled on his last college play.
Chas Dodd threw two touchdowns Rutgers (7-3), including a go-ahead 38-yard touchdown to Brandon Coleman on the opening possession of the second half.
Army (3-7) self-destructed for the second straight week. Alex Carlton missing a potential game-tying extra point in the fourth quarter and an apparent go-ahead 52-yard TD run was nullified by a penalty.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 81
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25