Tom Smart, Deseret News
Utah earned its third consecutive Pac-12 victory, walloping the Southern California visitors, 31-6, in a game played in the frigid air and on a slippery, snow-covered surface.
Junior running back John White led the charge for Utah, scoring three touchdowns and racking up 167 rushing yards in the blowout.
The victory improved Utah's record to 6-4 (3-4 Pac-12), making the Utes bowl-eligible for the 10th year in a row.
Cornerback Conroy Black set up one of White's two rushing touchdowns with a second-half interception. Black followed that with a 67-yard pick-six to put the game away for Utah in the fourth quarter.
UCLA (5-5, 4-3) struck first, scoring the only points of a ho-hum first quarter on a 30-yard field goal by Tyler Gonzalez.
That Bruin score came shortly after Utah punt return Griff McNabb fumbled the ball over to UCLA in the red zone. It was a victory for the Utes' defense to limit its SoCal visitors to a field goal.
The Utes maintained their momentum going into the locker room when Gonzalez missed a last second 47-yard field-goal attempt.
Utah appeared to have taken a double-digit lead in the second quarter, when defensive back Ryan Lacy scooped up a loose ball and raced 26 yards to the end zone.
The touchdown, however, was called back and UCLA given the ball back when the play was overturned. Replay officials ruled that Johnathan Franklin's elbow touched the turf prior to the turnover.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48