Tom Smart, Deseret News
Utah earned its third consecutive Pac-12 victory, walloping the Southern California visitors, 31-6, in a game played in the frigid air and on a slippery, snow-covered surface.
Junior running back John White led the charge for Utah, scoring three touchdowns and racking up 167 rushing yards in the blowout.
The victory improved Utah's record to 6-4 (3-4 Pac-12), making the Utes bowl-eligible for the 10th year in a row.
Cornerback Conroy Black set up one of White's two rushing touchdowns with a second-half interception. Black followed that with a 67-yard pick-six to put the game away for Utah in the fourth quarter.
UCLA (5-5, 4-3) struck first, scoring the only points of a ho-hum first quarter on a 30-yard field goal by Tyler Gonzalez.
That Bruin score came shortly after Utah punt return Griff McNabb fumbled the ball over to UCLA in the red zone. It was a victory for the Utes' defense to limit its SoCal visitors to a field goal.
The Utes maintained their momentum going into the locker room when Gonzalez missed a last second 47-yard field-goal attempt.
Utah appeared to have taken a double-digit lead in the second quarter, when defensive back Ryan Lacy scooped up a loose ball and raced 26 yards to the end zone.
The touchdown, however, was called back and UCLA given the ball back when the play was overturned. Replay officials ruled that Johnathan Franklin's elbow touched the turf prior to the turnover.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28