SAN DIEGO — Ramell Taylor scored 19 points and Ray Jones Jr. collected 10 rebounds to lead Southern Utah to a 76-75 win over UC Davis in the opener of the Basketball Travelers Classic at Viejas Arena on Friday night.
Jackson Stevenett contributed 18 points for the Thunderbirds.
Ryan Sypkens led UC Davis with 19 points and Josh Ritchart scored 16, including a three-point shot with less than one second remaining to pull the Aggies within one. UC Davis head coach Jim Les made his debut for the Aggies after nine seasons at Bradley.
The contest was the first official game of the season for both teams, and the first overall in the three-day, four-team tournament that also includes host San Diego State as well as Bryant.
UTAH VALLEY 80, SIMPSON 53: At Orem, Isiah Williams had 21 points and made five 3-point shots to lead Utah Valley to an 80-53 victory against Simpson on Friday night.
Geddes Robinson added 18 points and 12 rebounds for the Wolverines (1-0).
Stephon Thomas and Bryan Castillo scored 13 points each for Simpson (0-4), an NAIA school in Redding, Calif., that went 2-29 last season.
Utah Valley scored the game's first 11 points and broke it open with a 17-3 run over a span of 5:04 late in the first half. Williams made two of his 3-pointers during the surge, which gave the Wolverines a 46-23 cushion.
WEBER STATE 109, NORTHERN NEW MEXICO 50: At Ogden, Weber State set school records for most 3-pointers (17) and largest margin of victory in a game, defeating Northern New Mexico College 109-50 in the Wildcats' season opener.
Weber State had twice reached 15 3-pointers in a game, in 1996 and 2009.
Damian Lillard scored 25 points in his first regular-season game back from a broken foot that cost him most of last season to lead Weber State.
Frank Otis, a transfer from SMU, had 13 points and 17 rebounds in his first official game as a Wildcat and Scott Bamforth added 17 points as six Wildcats finished in double figures. Kyle Bullinger added 11 points.
- Due to injuries, both BYU and Cincinnati have...
- BYU legend Steve Young talks Tanner Mangum,...
- Morning links: L.A. Times writer, former...
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after putting...
- What you may have missed: Put him in, coach,...
- With Mangum 'probable,' Cougars getting Hoge...
- USC coach Steve Sarkisian taking indefinite...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 45
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 39
- No. 5 Utes outlast No. 23 Cal in... 37
- Utah football: Utes moves up No. 4 in... 32
- Due to injuries, both BYU and... 31
- Tanner Mangum returns from injury,... 25
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after... 21
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 21