SAN DIEGO — Ramell Taylor scored 19 points and Ray Jones Jr. collected 10 rebounds to lead Southern Utah to a 76-75 win over UC Davis in the opener of the Basketball Travelers Classic at Viejas Arena on Friday night.
Jackson Stevenett contributed 18 points for the Thunderbirds.
Ryan Sypkens led UC Davis with 19 points and Josh Ritchart scored 16, including a three-point shot with less than one second remaining to pull the Aggies within one. UC Davis head coach Jim Les made his debut for the Aggies after nine seasons at Bradley.
The contest was the first official game of the season for both teams, and the first overall in the three-day, four-team tournament that also includes host San Diego State as well as Bryant.
UTAH VALLEY 80, SIMPSON 53: At Orem, Isiah Williams had 21 points and made five 3-point shots to lead Utah Valley to an 80-53 victory against Simpson on Friday night.
Geddes Robinson added 18 points and 12 rebounds for the Wolverines (1-0).
Stephon Thomas and Bryan Castillo scored 13 points each for Simpson (0-4), an NAIA school in Redding, Calif., that went 2-29 last season.
Utah Valley scored the game's first 11 points and broke it open with a 17-3 run over a span of 5:04 late in the first half. Williams made two of his 3-pointers during the surge, which gave the Wolverines a 46-23 cushion.
WEBER STATE 109, NORTHERN NEW MEXICO 50: At Ogden, Weber State set school records for most 3-pointers (17) and largest margin of victory in a game, defeating Northern New Mexico College 109-50 in the Wildcats' season opener.
Weber State had twice reached 15 3-pointers in a game, in 1996 and 2009.
Damian Lillard scored 25 points in his first regular-season game back from a broken foot that cost him most of last season to lead Weber State.
Frank Otis, a transfer from SMU, had 13 points and 17 rebounds in his first official game as a Wildcat and Scott Bamforth added 17 points as six Wildcats finished in double figures. Kyle Bullinger added 11 points.
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still dismissed...
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham...
- Utah Jazz: 'Hungry' Trey Burke keeping busy...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Pac-12 notebook: Whittingham clarifies...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 99
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32