WACO, Texas — Quincy Miller had 17 points in his Baylor debut and the 12th-ranked Bears opened their season with a 77-57 victory over Texas Southern on Friday night.
Miller, a 6-foot-9 freshman power forward from Chicago, hit two 3-pointers when Baylor scored 11 points in less than a minute midway through the second half to put the game out of reach.
Returning starters Quincy Acy and Anthony Jones had 11 points each while Cory Jefferson had 10 points for Baylor.
Omar Strong led Texas Southern with 14 points. He was only 4 of 15 from the field, including 4 of 13 on 3-pointers.
Miller had 12 points after halftime, when the Bears built on a 37-30 lead.
Baylor is 40-0 against teams from the Southwestern Athletic Conference, with 21 of those wins coming during Scott Drew's nine seasons.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 67
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 51