Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Brandon Doman's longevity goals gleaned from Ron McBride
"It's not worth it. Those guys did it. If I were to take a page out of their book, it would be that; that you understand the consistency of it, you remain level-headed, you stay positive, you enjoy it, you deal with the ups and downs and don't make the ups too high and the downs too low. That is hard to do. It is hard to remain consistent at those levels today in college football. They did it and I hope to."
This week's picks:
Air Force 34, Wyoming 24: Credit Wyoming for making a huge surge and turnaround, but it ends in Falconville today.
Utah State 34, San Jose State 28: Great comeback win for Utah State over Hawaii. Perhaps that has triggered what Gary Andersen has searched for since August.
Boise State 38, TCU 24: Boise State will expose TCU in ways BYU couldn't.
USC 21, Washington 19: The Trojans may not be going bowling but they've still got the talent to remind folks who is who in the Pac-12.
California 24, Oregon State 17: The Bears are fighting for a more attractive bowl appearance and will pull it off today at home.
Stanford 34, Oregon 28: Great showdown between No. 4 and No. 7. Andrew Luck is the difference. He's the most prepared QB for the NFL today, according to Steve Young.
Arizona State 35, Washington State 27: The Sun Devils have enough defense to physically gain the edge.
Utah 21, UCLA 19: Utah's defense will force turnovers to set up a shaky but improving offense, and former Bruin assistant Norm Chow will leave Rice-Eccles a very satisfied man.
BYU 34, Idaho 17: Bronco Mendenhall would rather have played last week but the bye week did enable him to heal players. BYU might have a 100-yard rusher in this game. Will it be Riley Nelson?
Last week: 3-4; overall: 57-23 (.780).
Cougars on the air
Idaho (2-7) at BYU (6-3)
Saturday, 7:15 p.m. MT
LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FMHeady goes here
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- BYU offensive line coming together in time...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- Felt's Facts, Week 1: Where does Duchesne's...
- Parry's power guide to Utah high school...
- Brad Rock: Jerry Sloan praises ref who may...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 146
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 110
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 100
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 73
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 41
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 37