Lenny Ignelzi, Associated Press
CORONADO, Calif. — Say this about the men and women of the military: they know their basketball players.
A handful of former North Carolina stars were walking to their seats for the Carrier Classic on the flight deck of the USS Carl Vinson when a sailor stopped one of them and said, "Tyler Hansbrough?!"
It was indeed. And there was Vince Carter and Bobby Frasor, getting mobbed for autographs by sailors and Marines waiting for the first game on an active aircraft carrier, between No. 1 North Carolina and Michigan State.
On the other side of the court, former Tar Heel Eric Montross and former Spartans star Steve Smith were getting the same treatment.
The nation's basketball-fan-in-chief, President Barack Obama, was scheduled to attend.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Utes capped comeback season with lopsided Las...
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs.... 67
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26