Utah's comic book community rallied around Black with fundraisers at Salt Lake City's Dr. Volt's and Dragon's Keep in Provo to offset medical costs. And Black's best-selling novelist buddy, Brad Meltzer, tweeted about his cause, helping raise thousands of dollars more through charity website giveforward.com.
Combined, these efforts knocked Black's bills down from about $40,000 to $10,000.
Black chalks it up to divine intervention.
"I was definitely seeing the hand of the Lord in things like getting approved for insurance before finding the first lump," he said.
And he suspects others who share his Mormon faith have similar stories to tell.
"My hope is that, if somebody learns that their Mormon neighbor has been diagnosed with cancer they can say, 'Here's this book. Hopefully it will increase your faith and strengthen your heart.' That's my hope."
He aims to have the book published sometime next year.
"Five Senses" is available as a digital download at iVerse, Graphic.ly and Comixology.
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to Salt...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s...
- Wacky 'Mr. Peabody and Sherman' makes history...
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to... 21
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 16
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 9
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 8
- '12 Years a Slave' wins best picture at... 6
- 2014 Oscars played it safe, but was... 6