Throughout his war time, letters reflect Rex's moral character. For example, in a birthday letter he wrote to his grandmother, related in the biography, he wrote, "Even here upon this battlefield in France, I give thanks for the privilege I have of living upon the face of this earth, as without this opportunity of gaining a mortal body, all eternity would not be complete. Without you, Grandmother, I wouldn't have had the Priesthood of Jesus Christ. The testimony which I have grown within me since childhood, so your efforts have not been in vain. I pray my testimony may grow as the days go by, and that I will never do anything that will bring dishonor to my name."
Rex displayed characteristics that are still remembered and honored in his extended family.
"Like all great heroes, he was more concerned about others than himself," Law said. "As the medic was treating his fatal wound, Dale chided him, insisting there were others in greater need of the attention. That is what made him so great. The amazing thing is that there are still soldiers and everyday heroes like Dale out there. His story has been well documented, but so many stories are lost before they are recorded."
Today, BYU honors Rex by naming the U.S. Army Reserve Center in Provo the Dale Rex Hall, in addition to the Dale Rex Memorial Award.
email: firstname.lastname@example.org. All biographical information about Dale Rex was compiled by Clark in his book, "Dale Rex Memorial Award: the Man, the Athlete, the World War II Hero." The book can be found in the L. Tom Perry Special Collections in the Harold B. Lee Library on the BYU campus.
- Mormon mission president held, robbed by...
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- LDS missionaries meet London teen battling...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- New Harmony: Now pitching for the Angels:...
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 18
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 11
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had... 10
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 7
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 7
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 7
- 5 must-see answers to faith's biggest... 7
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian... 5