Utah Utes football coach Kyle Whittingham credits McBride for his work at U.
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah head football coach Kyle Whittingham had kind things to say about retiring Weber State coach Ron McBride on Tuesday.
He called Coach Mac a masterful recruiter who relates well to players and their parents.
"What a career he's had," said Whittingham, who was on McBride's coaching staff at Utah from 1994-2002. "He's done a lot of great things throughout his career, none maybe any greater than what he did at the University of Utah."
Whittingham credits McBride, who was 88-63 in 13 seasons with the Utes, for resurrecting the program, putting it back on the map and positioning it for a move to the next level.
"He was instrumental in the University of Utah getting into the Pac-12 with the work he did and the groundwork he laid," Whittingham said.
McBride, he continued, taught him a lot about recruiting.
"That was a strong suit of his," Whittingham explained. "Division I football is all about recruiting, so that's a good strong suit to have."
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23