Utah Utes football coach Kyle Whittingham credits McBride for his work at U.
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah head football coach Kyle Whittingham had kind things to say about retiring Weber State coach Ron McBride on Tuesday.
He called Coach Mac a masterful recruiter who relates well to players and their parents.
"What a career he's had," said Whittingham, who was on McBride's coaching staff at Utah from 1994-2002. "He's done a lot of great things throughout his career, none maybe any greater than what he did at the University of Utah."
Whittingham credits McBride, who was 88-63 in 13 seasons with the Utes, for resurrecting the program, putting it back on the map and positioning it for a move to the next level.
"He was instrumental in the University of Utah getting into the Pac-12 with the work he did and the groundwork he laid," Whittingham said.
McBride, he continued, taught him a lot about recruiting.
"That was a strong suit of his," Whittingham explained. "Division I football is all about recruiting, so that's a good strong suit to have."
- BYU football adds California DL Kainoa Fuiava...
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for Jabari...
- BYU basketball: First-grader given royal blue...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired assistant...
- Defense, rebounding, big second half propels...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State, 71-69
- High school football: Bountiful High coach...
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- Morning links: Which Utah school has... 92
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 85
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 80
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- College football signing day central:... 34
- Morning links: Ty Detmer plays ping... 32
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 32
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29