Utah Utes football coach Kyle Whittingham credits McBride for his work at U.
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah head football coach Kyle Whittingham had kind things to say about retiring Weber State coach Ron McBride on Tuesday.
He called Coach Mac a masterful recruiter who relates well to players and their parents.
"What a career he's had," said Whittingham, who was on McBride's coaching staff at Utah from 1994-2002. "He's done a lot of great things throughout his career, none maybe any greater than what he did at the University of Utah."
Whittingham credits McBride, who was 88-63 in 13 seasons with the Utes, for resurrecting the program, putting it back on the map and positioning it for a move to the next level.
"He was instrumental in the University of Utah getting into the Pac-12 with the work he did and the groundwork he laid," Whittingham said.
McBride, he continued, taught him a lot about recruiting.
"That was a strong suit of his," Whittingham explained. "Division I football is all about recruiting, so that's a good strong suit to have."
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 224
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 61
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 53
- ACC media days has some interesting... 42
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 34
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 31
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 24