Utah Utes football coach Kyle Whittingham credits McBride for his work at U.
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah head football coach Kyle Whittingham had kind things to say about retiring Weber State coach Ron McBride on Tuesday.
He called Coach Mac a masterful recruiter who relates well to players and their parents.
"What a career he's had," said Whittingham, who was on McBride's coaching staff at Utah from 1994-2002. "He's done a lot of great things throughout his career, none maybe any greater than what he did at the University of Utah."
Whittingham credits McBride, who was 88-63 in 13 seasons with the Utes, for resurrecting the program, putting it back on the map and positioning it for a move to the next level.
"He was instrumental in the University of Utah getting into the Pac-12 with the work he did and the groundwork he laid," Whittingham said.
McBride, he continued, taught him a lot about recruiting.
"That was a strong suit of his," Whittingham explained. "Division I football is all about recruiting, so that's a good strong suit to have."
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33