Brad Rock: Weber State football: Ron McBride finally comes in from the cold
Ron McBride finally comes in from the cold
He collected his memories from stops at Wisconsin, Utah, Arizona, Kentucky, Weber State, and even his days as a high school and small college coach. Among his unforgettables: Chris Yergensen's 55-yard kick that gave Utah a 34-31 win over BYU in 1993.
"That kick's still going," McBride said. "That changed the whole complexion of Utah on that day."
He loved it most, though, when the weather turned fierce, reminding him of his days as a kid, playing slow-motion football in the mud with his friends.
"I love to play in bad weather," he said.
Then he was off, reminiscing on the games in the cold. When he was at Wisconsin, a reporter asked about a freeze-out at Michigan State. McBride scoffed, saying he loved it — it was 10 degrees colder than Madison. Another time he was coaching at Arizona in a brutish, mud-soaked affair against Oklahoma.
"We needed two first downs to win the game. We went for it on fourth down two or three different times," he said, his eyes taking a distant look. "It was all two yards, three yards, two-and-a-half yards; then we'd start again. Two yards, three yards, two-and-a-half yards, whatever. Get another first down. It was just a slugfest."
Now McBride's thoughts were far from the ease of the interview room, where they kept chilled water and candy in dishes. He was down on the sidelines, the cold snapping like a guard dog.
"You could hear the pads popping and you could see the helmets and you could hear the noise," he continued. "It was unbelievable, because they were getting after it. It's remarkable how it stays in your mind."
One more time, just for an instant, Mac was back where he belonged.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 107
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20