Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Mike De Sisti, Associated Press
GERMANTOWN, Wis. — A semitrailer in southeastern Wisconsin collided with a car and crossed a highway median into oncoming traffic Tuesday morning, triggering a multi-vehicle pileup that left one person dead and six people injured.
The collision involved a total of two semis and eight other vehicles on Highway 41/45 in Germantown, where a light but steady rain had been falling. Authorities were investigating the cause, including the degree to which road conditions were a factor, Germantown police Chief Peter Hoell said.
"It was raining, roads were slick," he said. "It's not straight and flat there by any means. It's a little hilly, a little curvy."
Investigators sifted through the wreckage into midafternoon. Debris was scattered for at least a quarter mile along the road and shoulder. One semi that drove off the road remained upright with at least one car wedged hood-deep beneath it.
The accident happened about 9 a.m. A northbound semi made contact with a car and then crossed the grassy median into oncoming traffic, Hoell said.
The semi entered the southbound lane, where the main collisions occurred. Two vehicles ended up trapped in the space beneath one semi's bed, but it wasn't immediately clear whether that was the truck that crossed over.
A person in one of the trapped vehicles died. Someone in the other vehicle had to be extricated and was taken to a hospital with serious but unspecified injuries, Hoell said. The scene was "gruesome," he added.
The other five people who were hurt were taken to a hospital with injuries that the police chief described as non-life-threatening.
Traffic backed up as officers closed lanes in both directions throughout the morning. Northbound lanes were reopened after several hours, while southbound lanes remained closed into midafternoon.
Dinesh Ramde can be reached at dramde(at)ap.org.
Information from: WTMJ-TV, http://www.todaystmj4.com
- Obama OKs federal aid for West Virginia; at...
- In need of help, Trump finds few willing to...
- Officials: California wildfire destroys 200...
- Pope visits Armenia's closed border with...
- Trump camp scrambles to shape up before GOP...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- At least 7 stabbed at protest outside...
- BET Awards full of Prince tributes and...
- House Republicans' report faults Obama... 54
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 40
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 38
- Did Trump really just become a... 37
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 36
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 33
- Final Benghazi report: No 'smoking gun'... 31
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31