Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Mike De Sisti, Associated Press
GERMANTOWN, Wis. — A semitrailer in southeastern Wisconsin collided with a car and crossed a highway median into oncoming traffic Tuesday morning, triggering a multi-vehicle pileup that left one person dead and six people injured.
The collision involved a total of two semis and eight other vehicles on Highway 41/45 in Germantown, where a light but steady rain had been falling. Authorities were investigating the cause, including the degree to which road conditions were a factor, Germantown police Chief Peter Hoell said.
"It was raining, roads were slick," he said. "It's not straight and flat there by any means. It's a little hilly, a little curvy."
Investigators sifted through the wreckage into midafternoon. Debris was scattered for at least a quarter mile along the road and shoulder. One semi that drove off the road remained upright with at least one car wedged hood-deep beneath it.
The accident happened about 9 a.m. A northbound semi made contact with a car and then crossed the grassy median into oncoming traffic, Hoell said.
The semi entered the southbound lane, where the main collisions occurred. Two vehicles ended up trapped in the space beneath one semi's bed, but it wasn't immediately clear whether that was the truck that crossed over.
A person in one of the trapped vehicles died. Someone in the other vehicle had to be extricated and was taken to a hospital with serious but unspecified injuries, Hoell said. The scene was "gruesome," he added.
The other five people who were hurt were taken to a hospital with injuries that the police chief described as non-life-threatening.
Traffic backed up as officers closed lanes in both directions throughout the morning. Northbound lanes were reopened after several hours, while southbound lanes remained closed into midafternoon.
Dinesh Ramde can be reached at dramde(at)ap.org.
Information from: WTMJ-TV, http://www.todaystmj4.com
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the world's...
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- Twister kills 10 in Mexico border city; 12...
- Utah judge, former soldier recalls highlights...
- Vocabulary test takes away some National...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- 'Tomorrowland' takes top spot at box office...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 169
- Clinton: GOP threatening small-business... 19
- Ireland has voted to legalize gay... 18
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 17
- Ohio patrolman acquitted in shooting... 16
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- David Letterman leaves late night with... 12
- Irish premier: 'Create history' by... 12