The allegations against Sandusky range from sexual advances to touching to oral and anal sex. The young men testified before the state grand jury that they were in their early teens when some of the abuse occurred; there is evidence even younger children may have been victimized.
Buffalo Bills safety Bryan Scott, a three-year starter at Penn State from 1999-2002, said he was roommates with Sandusky's son Jon and had heard from mutual friends that the younger Sandusky was "just completely devastated."
"How can you not be? Your dad being accused of these allegations," Scott said.
He said he was praying that the charges against the former assistant coach were not true. "If it is, my thoughts and prayers are on the victims and on the victims' families," he added.
On College Avenue, the street running in front of the Penn State campus, the scandal — and who bears responsibility — was a popular topic of conversation.
"It's uncomfortable for us, because we know a lot of the people involved," said Rebecca Durst, who owns Rinaldo's Barber Shop.
"I don't think there's an easy solution," Durst said. "Damage has been done to a lot of people."
Anthony Vecchio, working on a street improvement project nearby, agreed. In any other job, he said, a boss would be held responsible if he or she didn't report wrongdoing by an employee.
"He's the boss, he's the head coach," Vecchio said. "He should know what's going on beneath him."
No matter what happens, Durst said the scandal has left a permanent stain on Penn State and the community.
"Happy Valley is not going to be Happy Valley anymore," she said.
AP writers Maryclaire Dale in Philadelphia and Nancy Armour in State College contributed to this story.
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- High school track: Boys championship results...
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a mythical...
- High school baseball: Snow Canyon overcomes...
- Considerable work, planning has gone... 71
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 68
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 62
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 61
- Utes football: No changes imminent for... 57
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A, 3A state... 49
- BYU football to receive 6-figure payout... 41