Utah Utes football notebook: Norm Chow can make it 2-1 against ex-employers
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Saturday's game at Rice-Eccles Stadium will pit Chow against a team he knows extremely well. Chow ran the Bruins' offense from 2008-10 before returning to his alma mater in January.
"We're obviously pleased he's on our staff. That's why we hired him way back when — for what he brings to the table," Whittingham said. "As far as an advantage-disadvantage, I think it's a wash. I don't think there's any advantage to either team in this situation with Norm having the insight and knowledge of their program and them knowing Norm and what he's all about. So I don't think that's going to play into at all."
The Bruins have changed enough over the past year with two new coordinators, Whittingham explained, so he doesn't see it being an advantage one way or the other.
MOVING ON UP: Utah running back John White IV not only became just the 11th player in program history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season. He netted 109 against Arizona to up his tally to 1,024, enough for 10th on the single-season rushing list already.
The junior college transfer can move all the way to fifth on Utah's career list with 104 or more yards against UCLA.
"I know he's been a big part of our success and obviously when you look at the statistics when he goes over 100 yards we win and when he hasn't we've lost. So there's a direct correlation there," Whittingham said while noting that 1,000 yards is a milestone and benchmark for a running back. "To be a 1,000-yard back is a great honor, particularly in a conference like the Pac-12."
STYLISH LOOK: Offensive lineman Tony Bergstrom hasn't joined many of his teammates in sporting a rally mustache, yet. He's currently got a goatee thing going with a Viking look to it — a couple of lengthy pointed ends on it.
"I don't know. It's got a mind of it's own," Bergstrom said. "You've got to talk gently about her or it might go away. It's a delicate thing."
EXTRA POINTS: Utah had no serious injuries against Arizona. … The Utes are 1-8 against UCLA. The lone win was a 44-6 drubbing at Rice-Eccles Stadium in 2007. … Approximately 200 tickets are still available for Saturday's game.
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Lloyd hat trick leads United States over...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 106
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 32
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 29
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 27
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 26
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 18