These include money for veterans' job training and education at community colleges and trade schools, job counseling for troops before they leave the military, and expanded benefits to disabled veterans.
Senate aides said the job training proposal was expected to cost around $1 billion. To pay for the veterans' tax credits and training, the measure would extend a fee the Department of Veterans Affairs charges for guaranteeing home loans, the aides said.
The veterans language is supported by groups incuding Disabled American Veterans and Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.
By 405-16, the House approved a bill two weeks ago repealing the withholding requirement for government contractors. It would cost $11.2 billion in lost revenue over 10 years, which the measure would recoup by making it harder for some Social Security recipients to qualify for Medicaid under Obama's health care overhaul law.
Days before that House vote, the Senate voted narrowly against debating a GOP version of the government contractors' measure after Republicans proposed paying for it by cutting unspecified spending by federal agencies, drawing strong Democratic opposition.
The withholding requirement became law five years ago, enacted by President George W. Bush and a GOP-run Congress in response to investigations showing that thousands of contractors were behind on billions of dollars in taxes. While there is no evidence that problem has abated, lawmakers are far more focused on showing voters they are trying to fix the economy.
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's birth...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 71
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 20
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 19
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 18
- Research: Native American genes have... 14