President Packer said, "Unless there is a mediator, unless we have a friend, the full weight of justice, untempered and unsympathetic, must, positively must fall on us. The full penalty for every transgression, however minor or however deep, will be exacted from us to the uttermost farthing.
"There is a Mediator, a Redeemer who stands both willing and able to appease the demands of justice and extend mercy to those who are penitent.
"We all live on spiritual credit. In one way or another, the account builds. If you pay it off as you go, you have little need to worry. Soon you begin to learn discipline and know that there is a day of reckoning ahead. Learn to keep your spiritual account paid off at regular intervals rather than allowing it to collect interest and penalties."
He said the gospel of Jesus Christ teaches that relief from torment and guilt can be earned through repentance. "Save for those few who defect to perdition, there is no habit, no addiction, no rebellion, no transgression, no offense, small or large, which is exempt from the promise of complete forgiveness. No matter what has happened in your life, the Lord has prepared a way back if you will heed the promptings of the Holy Spirit."
President Packer told the congregation, "You know that there is an adversary" who has sworn to disrupt "the great plan of happiness and become an enemy to all righteousness. He focuses his attacks on the family....
"You live in a day when the scourge of pornography is sweeping across the world. It is hard to escape it. Pornography is focused on that part of your nature through which you have the power to beget life."
There is no part of pornography that is innocent, he said. "To collect it, view it, or carry it around in any form is akin to keeping a rattlesnake in your backpack. It exposes you to the inevitable spiritual equivalent of the serpent's strike with its injection of deadly venom. One can easily understand, with the world being what it is, that you can almost innocently be exposed to it, to read it, or to view it without realizing the terrible consequences. If that describes you, I warn you to stop it. Stop it now."
President Packer said that as individuals go through the repentance process they should remember "that great morning of forgiveness may not come all at once. If at first you stumble, do not give up. Overcoming discouragement is part of the test. Do not give up. And as I have counseled before, once you have confessed and forsaken your sins, do not look back.
"The Lord is always there. He is willing to suffer and pay the penalty if you are willing to accept Him as your Redeemer."
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- 14 surprising, heartwarming videos of LDS...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Passing the torch
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir members react to...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 284
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 86
- Religious groups react to Boy... 50
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 41
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 30
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 18
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces first... 14
- ... 10