Deseret News archives
STOCKTON, Calif. — The Stockton Thunder defeated the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 Saturday night in Stockton to snap Utah's seven-game winning streak. The loss is Utah's first in 22 days.
Stockton jumped up early with two goals in the first period and led 2-0 after 20 minutes.
Utah (7-2) made it 2-1 in the second period on the power play as Mitch Fadden (3) slammed in a score with John Negrin and Justin Dowling picking up assists.
After the Thunder extended the lead back to 3-1, Derick Martin (1) got Utah within a goal with just under seven minutes left as the Grizzlies held in a puck and he fired it home from the left circle.
Andrew Engelage made some more spectacular saves as he stopped 32 of 35 shots.
The Utah/Stockton weekend finished with it's typical feistiness, as 110 total penalty minutes and four fights were recorded Saturday.
Utah is next in action Wednesday when they make their first ever trip to Loveland, Colo. Face-off is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24