Deseret News archives
STOCKTON, Calif. — The Stockton Thunder defeated the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 Saturday night in Stockton to snap Utah's seven-game winning streak. The loss is Utah's first in 22 days.
Stockton jumped up early with two goals in the first period and led 2-0 after 20 minutes.
Utah (7-2) made it 2-1 in the second period on the power play as Mitch Fadden (3) slammed in a score with John Negrin and Justin Dowling picking up assists.
After the Thunder extended the lead back to 3-1, Derick Martin (1) got Utah within a goal with just under seven minutes left as the Grizzlies held in a puck and he fired it home from the left circle.
Andrew Engelage made some more spectacular saves as he stopped 32 of 35 shots.
The Utah/Stockton weekend finished with it's typical feistiness, as 110 total penalty minutes and four fights were recorded Saturday.
Utah is next in action Wednesday when they make their first ever trip to Loveland, Colo. Face-off is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
- Is independence a viable option for BYU, or...
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match Gordon...
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to talk...
- BYU football: 10 players poised for breakout...
- Jazz rookie Rodney Hood starting to feel more...
- 10 with ties to Utah set for NBA Summer...
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 276
- BYU-Utah rated nation's 12th-best... 117
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 65
- Is independence a viable option for... 55
- 4 Utah college football players named... 30
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 29
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 25
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to... 13