Deseret News archives
STOCKTON, Calif. — The Stockton Thunder defeated the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 Saturday night in Stockton to snap Utah's seven-game winning streak. The loss is Utah's first in 22 days.
Stockton jumped up early with two goals in the first period and led 2-0 after 20 minutes.
Utah (7-2) made it 2-1 in the second period on the power play as Mitch Fadden (3) slammed in a score with John Negrin and Justin Dowling picking up assists.
After the Thunder extended the lead back to 3-1, Derick Martin (1) got Utah within a goal with just under seven minutes left as the Grizzlies held in a puck and he fired it home from the left circle.
Andrew Engelage made some more spectacular saves as he stopped 32 of 35 shots.
The Utah/Stockton weekend finished with it's typical feistiness, as 110 total penalty minutes and four fights were recorded Saturday.
Utah is next in action Wednesday when they make their first ever trip to Loveland, Colo. Face-off is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30