"The live broadcast on KBYU was the No. 1 in the Salt Lake market," Tittle said. "And the rebroadcast of the game was No. 2 in the market among college football games that Saturday. The numbers for the rebroadcast were almost identical to the live broadcast of the Utah game against Pittsburgh."
It was the second-highest rated football broadcast of the entire weekend in the market, trailing only the Dallas Cowboys at New England Patriots NFL game on Sunday.
BYUtv Sports coordinating producer Mikel Minor oversaw the production of the BYU-OSU broadcast.
"It was a collaborative effort that came together really on short notice," said Minor, who previously worked for six years at ESPN, where he produced SportsCenter. "There were a lot of 11th hour negotiations. We had the ability to go in with our facilities and resources, including our own HD truck, and our talent pool to put together a pretty good-looking show from my perspective."
Another challenge was making the game look like a Fox production, not a BYU production, which was part of the agreement.
"I felt like I was trying to paint the Mona Lisa blindfolded," Minor recalled. "I didn't see a lot of elements until we got to Corvallis. It was a paint-by-numbers show from that standpoint, but we were happy with the result."
Oregon State officials were pleased as well. OSU associate athletic director Steve Fenk called it a "win-win situation for the both of us."
As for the BYUtv crew, which included the play-by-play talents of Dave McCann, Fenk said he has "nothing but great things to say about them. One of the more organized TV production crews we've had in here for a few years."
While pulling off the broadcast of the game required a lot of work, Minor said the process, from his perspective, went smoothly.
"There was a compromise element that made this fairly easy to put together. It all fell into place very easily and naturally. I give a lot of credit to the people at Fox and to our folks," he said. "I don't think we would have been able to do the Oregon State game without the HD Truck. We had to take our truck there, and supplement it with our staff and crew."
The feedback from that broadcast has been positive.
"The first thing I noticed," Minor said, "was the gratitude factor from viewers, that they were able to see the game live."
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 95
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 63
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 29
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 20
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8