College soccer roundup: BYU secures fourth-place standing in the West Coast Conference
Montana is 3-2 in five previous title-match appearances, winning the tournament in 1997, 1999 and 2000.
This will be the fifth postseason meeting between the Wildcats and Grizzlies, and the fourth time the teams have played for the title. Weber State is 2-2-0 in the postseason against Montana, and 2-1-0 in the title match.
The winner of Sunday's match will learn its NCAA fate on Monday at 2:30 p.m. when the field of 64 teams is unveiled at NCAA.com.
ELMHURST, Ill. — The 2011 All-Summit League teams were announced Thursday with two Thunderbirds earning recognition. Junior forward Stacey Brinkman was named to second team while midfielder Kirsten Anthony earned a spot on the freshman team.
Brinkman led the T-Birds this past season with 16 points on six goals and four assists. The junior also ranked third in the league in total points and goals scored. This is Brinkman's second conference season award after the Las Vegas native was a member of the All-Newcomer Team following her freshman campaign in 2008.
Anthony was Southern Utah's top freshman starting in 15 of the Thunderbird's 18 matches. The midfielder from Silverdale, Wash. also recorded eight shots on the year.
"This year the Summit League had a lot of talented players, good teams a great competitive schedule,"? commented head coach Brian Stock. "It is great to have two players recognized in a year like this. I am proud of Stacey and Kirsten and look forward to their futures here."
The Thunderbirds closed out the season with back-to-back victories over South Dakota and UMKC, outscoring their opponents by a combined total of 10-2 in the two matches. SUU will look forward to having Brinkman and Anthony back next year as they enter the Big Sky Conference.
LAIE, Hawaii — BYU-Hawaii women's soccer player Britt Edman has been named to the Capitol One NCAA Division II Academic All-District Team for District 8.
The honor was announced on Nov. 4 by the College Sports Information Directors of America.
For the first time in the history of the Academic All-America program, Division II institutions have their own program. District 8 is comprised of schools in the Western United States.
Edman, a senior from Salt Lake City who attended Highland High, is the leading scorer for BYU-Hawaii this season with nine goals. She is a social work major with a 3.79 grade point average.
The Capitol One Academic program is operated by the CoSIDA. Nomination and voting for the awards are coordinated by the sports information directors throughout the region.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- Prognosticating, for fun, a bright BYU...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 101
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 44
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 41
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34