Bob Farley, Associated Press
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Case Keenum threw for 407 yards to become the most prolific passer in NCAA history and he added his first two rushing touchdowns of the season to lead No. 14 Houston past UAB 56-13 on Saturday night.
Keenum passed Timmy Chang's career record of 17,072 yards passing for Hawaii from 2000-04. Keenum finished the game with 17,212 yards passing.
Houston (9-0 overall, 5-0 Conference USA) has won its first nine games for the first time in school history. It also was 8-0 in 1979 and 1990.
Keenum completed 39 of 44 passes for 407 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions. The senior completed a 16-yard pass to Justin Johnson in the third quarter to pass Chang's mark. Kennum tied Chang's record with a 26-yard pass to Johnson on the previous play.
Keenum, who threw nine TD passes against Rice last week, completed his first 11 passes against UAB (1-8, 1-5). He began the night 267 yards away from matching Chang's mark.
The quarterback, being pushed by Houston for Heisman Trophy consideration, already holds the NCAA career records for TD passes and total offense. He has passed for more than 400 yards in five games this season. He has passed for 34 touchdowns with only three interceptions.
The Blazers took the early lead on Jonathan Perry's 9-yard pass to Patrick Hearn to cap a 12-play drive in the first quarter. UAB, attempting to make the most of its momentum, then tried an onside kick, but Houston recovered on the Blazers' 47.
Keenum led a quick touchdown drive capped by a 2-yard scoring pass to Tyron Carrier.
After that, UAB's only points came on Ty Long's field goals of 39 yards in the second quarter and 37 yards in the third.
Keenum had 1-yard scoring runs in the second and third quarters. Charles Sims also scored from the 1 in the second quarter and Michael Hayes capped Houston's first possession of the second half with a 3-yard touchdown run.
Hayes had 16 carries for 93 yards. Sims had 14 carries for 71 yards.
Keenum added an 11-yard scoring pass to Johnson early in the fourth. The Cougars pushed their lead to 49-13 on D.J. Hayden's 52-yard interception return.
Cotton Turner took over for Keenum late in the game and threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to Daniel Spencer to cap a drive aided by two personal-foul penalites against UAB.
Perry completed 15 of 29 passes for 149 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- Gordon Hayward's buzzer-beater extends Jazz...
- Empey evaluates BYU's O-line; recruit Haws to...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Jazz notes: What happens when Joe Ingles...
- BYU football hires former player Jack Damuni...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 42
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 41
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon... 26