PLEASANT GROVE — Millard head coach Marshall Sheriff insists he and his coaching staff simply stressed playing a complete game.
That mission was certainly accomplished on Saturday, so can snapping the two-time defending 2A state champion Broncos' 30-game winning streak be considered just a byproduct of that full effort?
Either way, the Eagles (9-2) are moving on to next week's 2A state championship game against Manti, the lone 2A opponent Millard has lost to this season. San Juan (10-1) on the other hand, will start over next year and try to build another successful run after falling 35-20.
"We really didn't think about the win streak or the fact that they were defending champs," Sheriff said. "We really made our main focus to go hard every single play, and we accomplished that."
As the game wore on, it seemed that one player in particular — Alcala — got stronger. He scored two more touchdowns in the second half — including a 41-yard scamper, and no doubt became the star of the game.
Alcala finished the game with 176 yards on 20 carries.
"Toward the middle of the third quarter, some of the coaches were saying, 'lets give it to him every time,'" Sheriff said. "We kind of started doing that, but at the same time, you don't want to get away from your game plan."
San Juan's defense also had several highlights, including four interceptions and a pair of sacks.
Sheriff said he is excited for the prospect of his team competing for a championship against a team that they fell to.
"We're real excited to have that opportunity to do that (play Manti) again," he said.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Believe it or not: QB Travis Wilson is set to...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 66
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21