DES MOINES, Iowa — Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney paid for automated telephone calls in Iowa accusing rival Rick Perry of contributing to illegal immigration.
The call was paid for by Romney's campaign. It's the first paid attack by the former Massachusetts governor on Perry, the governor of Texas.
Arizona border-county Sheriff Paul Babeu speaks on the call, noting Perry's opposition to a fence along the U.S.-Mexico border and his support for in-state tuition for children of illegal immigrants.
Babeu says — quote — "Rick Perry is opposing a border fence and granting in-state tuition benefits to illegal immigrants. Rick Perry is part of the illegal immigration problem."
Iowa holds the leadoff nominating caucuses on Jan. 3.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- New dynasty: Giants capture 3rd title in 5 years
- Gunfire, arrests erupt as Giants fans revel...
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US criticism
- Maine in standoff with nurse over Ebola...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Churches proceed carefully when encouraging...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 62
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 37
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 30
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 20
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US... 13