Quantcast

Cain presses on amid allegations

By Kasie Hunt

Associated Press

Published: Friday, Nov. 4 2011 8:19 a.m. MDT

WASHINGTON — Sexual harassment accusations roiling his campaign, Republican presidential hopeful Herman Cain looked to reassure donors and tea party backers Friday that his White House bid would press on even as a lawyer for one of his accusers readied a statement from her about what happened.

At the same time, a new poll indicated that Cain remained in strong position in the GOP nomination race despite the disclosures that at least three women allege that he engaged in inappropriate sexual behavior toward them while he was the head of the National Restaurant Association, where they then worked.

Over the past five days, Cain has repeatedly denied wrongdoing even as he gave conflicting accounts about what — if anything — he knew about the alleged incidents as well as whether he knew about financial settlements two of his accusers reportedly received from the trade group. He's blamed the mainstream media, liberals and GOP rival Rick Perry's campaign, which said it had nothing to do with it. A black conservative, he has said his race has played a factor in the turmoil.

He was back in Washington on Friday, after spending a day in New York, to deliver a speech to the conservative Americans for Prosperity, a group aligned with the tea party movement that has helped Cain rise from the back of the GOP presidential pack in recent weeks. He also was meeting privately with his national finance team as the campaign looks to broaden a grassroots fundraising base that's so far been driven by small online donations.

That includes what the campaign says is more than $1.2 million in contributions since Sunday when Politico first reported the harassment accusations.

Also Friday, the National Restaurant Association was set to decide whether to allow one woman who accused Cain of sexual harassment to publicly address the allegations, despite an agreement that prevented her from talking.

Joel Bennett, an attorney for one of the women alleging sexual harassment, said Thursday he was seeking permission from the National Restaurant Association to release a statement on her behalf. Under an agreement stemming from her accusation in 1999, the woman agreed not to speak publicly about the episode she said occurred when she worked for the trade group and Cain was its president.

Meanwhile, a new Washington Post-ABC News survey showed Cain and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney running nearly even atop the field of 2012 GOP presidential hopefuls, with most Republicans dismissing the harassment allegations. Seven in 10 Republicans say reports of the allegations don't matter when it comes to picking a candidate.

But in a sign of the possible danger ahead, the poll found that Cain slipped to third place among those who see the charges as serious, and Republican women were significantly more likely than men to say the scandal makes them less apt to support the businessman. The survey found that support for Cain was basically steady over the four nights of interviewing, even as new charges against him surfaced.

Politico, citing anonymous sources, reported late Thursday that one of the women contended that Cain made a sexual overture to her and invited her to his hotel room during a National Restaurant Association event in the late 1990s. The report said the woman was livid and complained to a member of the group's board later that night.

Also, the New York Times, also citing anonymous sources, reported that one of the woman complained that the workplace turned hostile after she alleged that Cain had made advances toward her during a work-related outing in which Cain and several younger staff members drank alcohol until late in the evening.

Cain's rivals were focused on anything other than Cain.

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS