Pat Eaton-Robb, Associated Press
HARTFORD, Conn. — Boston Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said Thursday that the team's search for a new manager is in about the fourth inning.
Lucchino appeared in Hartford with former major league manager Bobby Valentine in a program put on by the World Affairs Council on the global rise in the popularity of baseball.
"My assessment would be we're in the fourth inning, maybe the middle of the fourth," Lucchino told The Associated Press before the panel discussion. "We have interviewed only two people in terms of formal interviews, so we're still doing due diligence on other names."
Milwaukee Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum and Philadelphia Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin have been brought in for formal interviews. In addition, the Cleveland Indians have given the Red Sox permission to interview bench coach Sandy Alomar.
Lucchino said it's natural Valentine's name would also come up in discussions, but both men denied they had talked to each other about the job.
"He's a great man and a great manager and he has a colorful and successful history, so his name inevitably comes up in this day and age," Lucchino said.
Valentine managed 15 years with the Texas Rangers and New York Mets, a team he took to the World Series in 2000. He also won the Japan Series in 2005 with the Chiba Lotte Marines. He now works as an analyst for ESPN.
"I have a great job, and I wouldn't insult my employers by saying I'm interested in another job," Valentine said. "I have two more years on my contract with ESPN and I'm very thankful for that."
Valentine has some of the qualifications that Lucchino acknowledged the Red Sox are looking for, including the ability to handle a "pressure cooker" such as Boston and experience with players from all different cultures.
"It's helpful," Lucchino said. "Over 50 percent of the players in baseball are from places outside the United States. And so, having some comfort, familiarity, cultural references I think is a key part of the job."
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18