ROCKVILLE, Md. — Prosecutors say an 11-year-old Maryland boy found dead in the woods last month was beaten in the head by his stepfather with a baseball bat that was left near the child's body.
Authorities revealed the new details Thursday as Curtis M. Lopez was ordered held without bond in the killing of his estranged wife, Jane McQuain. Prosecutors plan to charge Lopez with killing McQuain's son, William.
Lopez appeared in court via video hookup from the Montgomery County jail. He was returned to Maryland on Wednesday after being arrested last month in Charlotte, N.C.
Prosecutors say a blood-smeared 30-pound weight was found in McQuain's apartment in Germantown, where police discovered her body Oct. 12. He said Jane McQuain was killed in her sleep.
Lopez's lawyer called the evidence circumstantial.
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Top 15 states for education
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Wearing this one thing can help boost a...
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 9
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 6