ROCKVILLE, Md. — Prosecutors say an 11-year-old Maryland boy found dead in the woods last month was beaten in the head by his stepfather with a baseball bat that was left near the child's body.
Authorities revealed the new details Thursday as Curtis M. Lopez was ordered held without bond in the killing of his estranged wife, Jane McQuain. Prosecutors plan to charge Lopez with killing McQuain's son, William.
Lopez appeared in court via video hookup from the Montgomery County jail. He was returned to Maryland on Wednesday after being arrested last month in Charlotte, N.C.
Prosecutors say a blood-smeared 30-pound weight was found in McQuain's apartment in Germantown, where police discovered her body Oct. 12. He said Jane McQuain was killed in her sleep.
Lopez's lawyer called the evidence circumstantial.
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- Government ups air bag warning to 7.8M vehicles
- Inspector: 'Serious lapse' at Secret Service
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- Shots ring out at Canada's Parliament
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 111
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 21
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 16
- California orders churches, others to... 11
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 10
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8