ROCKVILLE, Md. — Prosecutors say an 11-year-old Maryland boy found dead in the woods last month was beaten in the head by his stepfather with a baseball bat that was left near the child's body.
Authorities revealed the new details Thursday as Curtis M. Lopez was ordered held without bond in the killing of his estranged wife, Jane McQuain. Prosecutors plan to charge Lopez with killing McQuain's son, William.
Lopez appeared in court via video hookup from the Montgomery County jail. He was returned to Maryland on Wednesday after being arrested last month in Charlotte, N.C.
Prosecutors say a blood-smeared 30-pound weight was found in McQuain's apartment in Germantown, where police discovered her body Oct. 12. He said Jane McQuain was killed in her sleep.
Lopez's lawyer called the evidence circumstantial.
- Photos: UCLA wades through damage caused by...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the time'
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Probe exposes flaws behind HealthCare.gov...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Child sex trafficking bust reveals worries...
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against Obama
- Witness: More Oklahoma bombing videos may exist
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 46
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 26
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 24
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 20
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 14