ROCKVILLE, Md. — Prosecutors say an 11-year-old Maryland boy found dead in the woods last month was beaten in the head by his stepfather with a baseball bat that was left near the child's body.
Authorities revealed the new details Thursday as Curtis M. Lopez was ordered held without bond in the killing of his estranged wife, Jane McQuain. Prosecutors plan to charge Lopez with killing McQuain's son, William.
Lopez appeared in court via video hookup from the Montgomery County jail. He was returned to Maryland on Wednesday after being arrested last month in Charlotte, N.C.
Prosecutors say a blood-smeared 30-pound weight was found in McQuain's apartment in Germantown, where police discovered her body Oct. 12. He said Jane McQuain was killed in her sleep.
Lopez's lawyer called the evidence circumstantial.
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- Corvette Museum to completely fill in...
- Mexico authorities stage midnight migrant raid
- Student evades monitors, spreads Ebola to...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Obama to attend wedding of longtime personal...
- US delivers military aid to Lebanese army
- A New York Times article said Michael... 44
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 25
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14