Gerald Herbert, file, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Singing an Aretha Franklin song is a formidable task for anyone — even for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee Chaka Khan.
Khan says she's struggling to find the right song to pay tribute to Franklin at a concert at the Rock Hall in Cleveland. Saturday's concert, featuring Khan, Lauryn Hill, Ronald Isley and others, will cap a week of festivities honoring Franklin as part of the museum's American Music Masters series.
"It's very special. I really don't know what songs I'm going to sing. I just know one of them won't be 'Respect,'" she said with a laugh.
Khan said she'd love to sing a jazz tune, as Franklin's early material was rooted in jazz. But since the event is at the Rock Hall, "I don't know whether it would be appropriate or not."
Khan said she's likely to pick one of Franklin's lesser-known songs: "I try to pick songs that people know and love, but weren't hits ... because it shows the artist's versatility."
Khan is a nominee for next year's Rock Hall as a member of the group Rufus. She said she's honored by the nomination, even if she doesn't make it in: "The fact that Aretha is there, if it never happens for me, she represents."
Still, she would like to make the cut — and hopes to do it on the first try.
"It would be a real shame to have to wait. I've been doing this for 40 years," said Khan. "But I've waited this long; I'm good I'm still alive, I'm still kicking."
- Live at the GOP convention: Donald Trump...
- GOP speakers fault Clinton on Benghazi deaths
- Trump campaign dismisses criticism of Melania...
- No charges for St. Louis officers who killed...
- Group: Half of Syrian refugee kids in Lebanon...
- Marilyn Monroe's tresses and dresses going up...
- India lifts ban but Kashmir papers not...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- Trump campaign dismisses criticism of... 49
- Did the Republican Party just adopt the... 48
- GOP speakers fault Clinton on Benghazi... 44
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 39
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30