Gerald Herbert, file, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Singing an Aretha Franklin song is a formidable task for anyone — even for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee Chaka Khan.
Khan says she's struggling to find the right song to pay tribute to Franklin at a concert at the Rock Hall in Cleveland. Saturday's concert, featuring Khan, Lauryn Hill, Ronald Isley and others, will cap a week of festivities honoring Franklin as part of the museum's American Music Masters series.
"It's very special. I really don't know what songs I'm going to sing. I just know one of them won't be 'Respect,'" she said with a laugh.
Khan said she'd love to sing a jazz tune, as Franklin's early material was rooted in jazz. But since the event is at the Rock Hall, "I don't know whether it would be appropriate or not."
Khan said she's likely to pick one of Franklin's lesser-known songs: "I try to pick songs that people know and love, but weren't hits ... because it shows the artist's versatility."
Khan is a nominee for next year's Rock Hall as a member of the group Rufus. She said she's honored by the nomination, even if she doesn't make it in: "The fact that Aretha is there, if it never happens for me, she represents."
Still, she would like to make the cut — and hopes to do it on the first try.
"It would be a real shame to have to wait. I've been doing this for 40 years," said Khan. "But I've waited this long; I'm good I'm still alive, I'm still kicking."
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Living with Children: Late nights, not school...
- No gray area: Beliefs shape firm, disparate...
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants to hit US
- Study claims cave art made by Neanderthals
- AP Analysis: Putin digs in for long Ukraine...
- 32 teens escape from Nashville detention center
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants... 20
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 17
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 11
- US judge blocks enforcement of new... 9