Gerald Herbert, file, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Singing an Aretha Franklin song is a formidable task for anyone — even for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee Chaka Khan.
Khan says she's struggling to find the right song to pay tribute to Franklin at a concert at the Rock Hall in Cleveland. Saturday's concert, featuring Khan, Lauryn Hill, Ronald Isley and others, will cap a week of festivities honoring Franklin as part of the museum's American Music Masters series.
"It's very special. I really don't know what songs I'm going to sing. I just know one of them won't be 'Respect,'" she said with a laugh.
Khan said she'd love to sing a jazz tune, as Franklin's early material was rooted in jazz. But since the event is at the Rock Hall, "I don't know whether it would be appropriate or not."
Khan said she's likely to pick one of Franklin's lesser-known songs: "I try to pick songs that people know and love, but weren't hits ... because it shows the artist's versatility."
Khan is a nominee for next year's Rock Hall as a member of the group Rufus. She said she's honored by the nomination, even if she doesn't make it in: "The fact that Aretha is there, if it never happens for me, she represents."
Still, she would like to make the cut — and hopes to do it on the first try.
"It would be a real shame to have to wait. I've been doing this for 40 years," said Khan. "But I've waited this long; I'm good I'm still alive, I'm still kicking."
- Indiana man's confession leads to 7 bodies
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Students clean up after mayhem near pumpkin fest
- Wanted: Cities interested in hosting 2024...
- Virus expert sees 'silver lining' in Ebola...
- This type of high school can increase your...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social Security
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 19
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 17
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14