Terry Collins, Associated Press
OAKLAND, Calif. — Police and protesters supporting the Occupy Wall Street movement have clashed downtown following a day of peaceful protests throughout Oakland.
The confrontation began after protesters started a large bonfire in the middle of a downtown street. Dozens of police in riot gear moved in on hundreds of protesters as the flames leapt more than 15 feet in the air from several large metal and plastic trash bins that had been pushed together.
Police warned protesters to clear out before firing several rounds of tear gas and "flash bang" grenades to clear the area.
In the aftermath of the police actions, protesters with cloth wrapped around their faces to protect them from the stench of the gas marched through the area chanting, "Whose streets? Our streets."
Some marchers wore gas masks.
Glass covered streets and sidewalks from windows of area businesses that were shattered.
Graffiti on the wall next to one of the damaged shops read, "This act of vandalism was not authorized by the general assembly. Peaceful protest."
Shorthly after the clash, police and protesters separated by only a few feet stared each other down in a tense standoff. A few dozen people sat on the ground right in front of officers, some with their heads bowed as if in prayer.
There were scores of police in riot gear on the scene, about as many officers as demonstrators.
The clash and subsequent standoff came only hours after Occupy Wall Street protesters declared victory after thousands of demonstrators shut down one of the nation's busiest shipping ports late Wednesday, escalating a movement whose tactics had largely been limited to marches, rallies and tent encampments since it began in September.
- Calliop, Jag and Tintin: Here's a look at 20...
- Walmart, Kmart 'Layaway Angels' spreading...
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- What you think of welfare program depends on...
- Putin defends Russian conservative values
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- India government likely to review... 26
- What you think of welfare program... 25
- Health care debate about presidential... 24
- Health care signups increase to... 23
- Putin defends Russian conservative values 18
- Looking beyond the premium is a... 17
- Little difference between PG-13 and... 13