This bill does not add a single new green card to the system. There's no trick or compromise involved. We are sending a message that we want people to come to America legally, and we are sending that message without massive comprehensive reforms. This is simple, straightforward and consistent with where I think most Republicans stand on the issue of immigration.
This bill admittedly does not attempt to address all of our immigration problems. But it is an important step that I hope will build momentum toward more significant policy changes in the future. I will continue to pursue commonsense solutions to help fix legal immigration in this country, and I remain committed to working with members from both sides of the aisle as I do so.
Congressman Jason Chaffetz represents the 3rd Congressional District of Utah.
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum wage
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before...
- John Hoffmire: Fighting increasing health...
- The most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- In our opinion: Aging without a family
- Doug Robinson: The era of 'I'm sorry'
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: What's to be...