Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
As we approach the year anniversary of the signing of the Utah Compact, I am writing to voice my support for its compassionate approach as the only fair and reasonable way of meeting the challenge of illegal immigration. It is a thoughtful alternative to the extremist attitude that all undocumented immigrants in Utah must somehow be punished, that only a pound of flesh will compensate for their supposed impudence in seeking residence among us.
Considering the undeniably substantial sacrifice and contribution of immigrants both legal and illegal in our country, I find this attitude small-minded, vindictive and in no one's interest. Scapegoating and senseless retribution are always wrong.
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- My view: Powdr Corp and Park City Mountain...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- Improving voter turnout still a tough nut to...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 74
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- Join the discussion: Is it impossible... 32