Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
As we approach the year anniversary of the signing of the Utah Compact, I am writing to voice my support for its compassionate approach as the only fair and reasonable way of meeting the challenge of illegal immigration. It is a thoughtful alternative to the extremist attitude that all undocumented immigrants in Utah must somehow be punished, that only a pound of flesh will compensate for their supposed impudence in seeking residence among us.
Considering the undeniably substantial sacrifice and contribution of immigrants both legal and illegal in our country, I find this attitude small-minded, vindictive and in no one's interest. Scapegoating and senseless retribution are always wrong.
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Ralph Becker: Reaching for the best of the...
- George F. Will: Adding Pence the pliable to...
- My view: Supporting Utah's public education...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 38
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 29
- Letter: Acting presidential 26
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 25
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22