Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
As we approach the year anniversary of the signing of the Utah Compact, I am writing to voice my support for its compassionate approach as the only fair and reasonable way of meeting the challenge of illegal immigration. It is a thoughtful alternative to the extremist attitude that all undocumented immigrants in Utah must somehow be punished, that only a pound of flesh will compensate for their supposed impudence in seeking residence among us.
Considering the undeniably substantial sacrifice and contribution of immigrants both legal and illegal in our country, I find this attitude small-minded, vindictive and in no one's interest. Scapegoating and senseless retribution are always wrong.
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum wage
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before...
- John Hoffmire: Fighting increasing health...
- The most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: What's to be...
- In our opinion: Aging without a family
- My view: Utah needs to expand Medicaid
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 58
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 54
- Letter: Doctors unite 39
- Letter: Elected representatives 36
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 30
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 24
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be... 20
- Letter: No limits 20