Weber State basketball: Wildcats ranked 19th in mid-major hoops poll
Gonzaga is preseason No. 1, BYU No. 9
OGDEN — The Weber State men's basketball team is ranked 19th in the first Collegeinsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 men's basketball poll of the 2011-12 season, which was released Monday. The Wildcats received 207 points in the poll.
Perennial mid-major power Gonzaga is the preseason No. 1. The Bulldogs of the West Coast Conference received 21 first-place votes and 740 total points. Butler, which has played for the NCAA championship each of the past two seasons, is No. 2. The Bulldogs of the Horizon League earned seven first-place votes and 698 total points.
The top five is rounded out by Creighton, Belmont and Wichita State. BYU earned one first-place vote and ended up ninth, while Utah Valley received five votes to be ranked.
The Wildcats have been picked by the media and coaches to the win the 2011-12 Big Sky Conference championship.
Weber State returns three starters from last year's squad, which finished third in the Big Sky with an 11-5 overall record. Head coach Randy Rahe returns for his sixth season with the Wildcats. Weber State also returns junior guard Damian Lillard, who missed most of the 2010-11 season with an injury. Lillard, considered one of the top mid-major players in the nation, was the Big Sky MVP in 2009-10. First team all-conference guard Scott Bamforth and first team all-conference forward Kyle Bullinger also return for the Wildcats.
Weber State will host an exhibition game on Nov. 7 against Colorado-Colorado Springs. The 2011-12 regular season will begin Nov. 11 when the 'Cats host Northern New Mexico.
The poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Great West, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, and West Coast.
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 137
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 59
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 47