White, though, didn't make much of a splash in his first spring at Utah. Whittingham said he was getting a feel for major college football. In fall camp, however, White gained confidence and became assignment sound. That's when things really took off and he pulled away from the pack. White entered camp as a tri-leader, along with Harvey Langi and Thretton Palamo, for the starting job at running back.
"We hoped that there would be some separation and it was pretty apparent about two weeks into camp, that second week of camp, that John was starting to separate himself," Whittingham said. "And that trend continued and he just widened the gap as time went on."
White is currently the third-leading rusher in the Pac-12 and ranks 15th in the nation. He had 36 carries at Pitt and is the only player in the country to have two games with 35 or more rushes this season.
Utes on the air
Utah (4-4, 1-4 Pac-12) at Arizona (2-6, 1-5)
Saturday, 4 p.m. MT
At Arizona Stadium, Tucson, Ariz.
Radio: 700 AM
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- BYU football: Cougars have gotten solid...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 48
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 44