In RSL's next league match, Saborio scored twice in a 4-1 victory, but the striker clearly dove to earn a second-half penalty kick and the league suspended him for one game because of his antics.
It was an embarrassing moment for Saborio, but it seemed to strengthen his relationship with Kreis, who confronted his striker afterward about the dive.
"He's beginning to become more and more comfortable with me," joked Kreis, who said it apparently takes a couple of years sometimes.
After the suspension, Saborio struggled to regain his form during a month-long spell, and RSL went 1-4 over a five-game stretch. He seemed to finally snap out of the funk with a goal in a 1-0 road victory at Chivas USA on Aug. 27, and he finished the regular season with four goals in the last 10 matches.
With two more already in the playoffs, Saborio is heating up at the right time.
"It's good for every forward to score goals, and we'll try and keep focused and move forward to the next game," said Saborio. "I feel good in the past two games, and hopefully I go up there and continue to get better."
RSL on the air
Western Conference semifinals
Real Salt Lake at Seattle Sounders
Wednesday, 8 p.m. MT
CenturyLink Field, Seattle
Radio: 700 AM, 1600 AM
NOTE: RSL won first leg, 3-0
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27